Chapter 46

"Lady Astelle. It's not what you promised, is it?" Vellian approached Astelle after the stormy events of the tea party had settled.

Astelle widened her eyes, appearing confused by his remark. "I kept my promise. I didn't lay a hand on the Marchioness, did I?"

Vellian, feeling overwhelmed, covered his eyes with his hand and let out a prolonged sigh. Despite his evident distress, Astelle showed no sympathy.

"Well, from the start, I didn't anticipate this tea party ending smoothly," he confessed.

"So, was it your plan to bring His Majesty here, thinking it would prevent any issues?" Astelle queried, implying that Vellian might have expected the emperor's presence to deter trouble.

Vellian chose not to respond directly. Instead, he probed Astelle, "Are you content now that you've orchestrated a situation to deceive that foolish Marchioness?"

Astelle replied frankly, "Yes. Honestly, I'm relieved that dangerous woman is no longer near Theor."

Astelle aimed to rid herself of the Marchioness, so she orchestrated a plan with Hannah to anticipate the Marchioness' spying. Hannah discreetly added a vial of powder to the Marchioness's teacup, the powder being elaine berry powder.

Elaine berries, when ground into a powder, possessed neither taste nor smell, making them a crucial ingredient for nutritional supplements. Astelle had dried Elaine berries in her medicine box since her departure from the Carlenberg mansion.

She meticulously ground the blue Elaine fruit, mixed it with burnt pigment, and shaped it into a deep purple powder. After hand-tearing it into thin pieces and placing it in a glass bottle, it resembled purple petals, although a closer inspection would reveal its artificial nature.

Terrified that Astelle might retaliate, the Marchioness easily fell into the trap, not noticing the subtleties.

"I am very glad that Lady Astelle is satisfied."

"Thank you for your help, Count."

Astelle nodded graciously, acknowledging Vellian's help, but his next words sparked shock and cursing from him.

"If you return to the capital, you'll encounter the Croychens again. What's your plan then?"

"It doesn't concern me. I'll return briefly; the Croychens won't risk causing trouble in such a sensitive situation. Especially with Florin on track to become the future empress."

Astelle remained confident that the Croychens, particularly Marquis Croychen and Florin, wouldn't resort to dangerous actions against the former empress.

--*

"Sweetheart... that..."

The Marchioness of Croychen wept, standing before the dressing table, glancing back at her daughter seated by the window.

"His Majesty was so angry..."

Florin remained seated by the window, unmoving. The garden's view, with many red roses in full bloom, stretched outside. The warm wind carried the strong scent of roses, but to Florin, the entire situation was merely vexing.

"Hey, Florin, are you listening to me?"

The Marchioness stormed toward Florin by the window, frustrated. Florin shifted her attention toward her mother.

"Hey! Hey! Are you listening to me?!" the Marchioness demanded.

"This happened because my mother made up such a ridiculous thing. What should I do now?" Florin gazed at her mother, her tone cold. "What were you thinking? What would you gain from doing something like that?"