Chapter 60

The sunlight filtered through the pale green tablecloth, casting a soft glow that illuminated the interior of the table with a gentle, light blue radiance. Theor's blue eyes also took on a reddish glow.

Theor's innocent question broke the silence, his voice filled with curiosity. "Grandpa said we had to leave tomorrow. Are we going back to the castle?"

Astelle's heart sank as she realized the implications of their impending departure. "No, Theor. We are not going back to the castle. It's time for us to return home," she replied, her voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

As she observed Theor's eyes glowing with a reddish hue, memories of Kaizen flooded her mind. He had pleaded for her to stay, expressing a desire to make amends for the past.

Astelle found herself torn between conflicting emotions. If she left the capital, would they never meet again? Or would fate bring them together once more?

The thought of Theor's safety weighed heavily on her mind. She couldn't bear the idea of putting him at risk.

'Perhaps, when the truth behind the assassination is revealed, even if we don't wish to see each other, our paths may cross again,' Astelle contemplated, acknowledging the unpredictable nature of their circumstances.

A glimmer of hope remained as more than ten days had passed since the incident, and the identities of the assassins had yet to be revealed. It was fortunate that all the assassins had been swiftly eliminated, preventing the instigator behind the assassination from being exposed.

Astelle couldn't help but agree with her grandfather's judgement that this was likely not the first attempt on Kaizen's life. The thought weighed heavily on her, causing her expression to darken. Sensing her distress, Theor spoke up, offering reassurance in his innocent voice.

"Don't worry, Mom. I like the castle, but I love our home more," Theor said, his words bringing a sense of comfort to Astelle.

"Yes," she replied, a small smile forming on her face. Theor was a remarkable child, and now, more than ever, Astelle cherished him. He became her anchor, the source of her strength.

Astelle yearned for the simplicity and tranquility of their life in the eastern countryside. She longed for the days when they could live peacefully without fear or danger. However, the uncertainty of their future weighed heavily on her, causing anxiety to creep in.

She pushed aside her worries, determined to stay strong for Theor.

Approaching her son, Astelle enveloped him in a tight embrace, cherishing the warmth and love they shared. In this moment, she found solace and a renewed determination to protect Theor and create a better future for him.

"Are you feeling hungry, Theor? Would you like me to bring you some cake?" Astelle asked, her voice filled with warmth and affection.

Theor's eyes lit up with excitement. "Yes! I want cake!" he exclaimed eagerly.

"Alright, wait here," Astelle instructed, leaving Theor under the table. She made her way out of the room and into the hallway, intending to retrieve the cake. However, her plans were interrupted when a passing maid spotted her and hurriedly approached.

"Lady Astelle, a guest has arrived," the maid informed her, a sense of urgency in her voice.

"A guest? Who could it be?" Astelle wondered aloud, her mind briefly considering the possibility of Count Ecklen, whom she had encountered at the temple earlier.

She had declined his invitation to visit, but perhaps he had come anyway. However, the maid's next words caught her off guard.

"The Duke of Reston has arrived," the maid revealed.