Chapter 49

His eyes simmered with anger under the moon's glow.

"What do you want to say?" Astelle's voice matched his, laced with frustration.

Kaizen approached Astelle, wearing a smirk and speaking in a tone of absurdity. "You attended the ball solely for that permission, didn't you?"

'Why else would I bother attending this ball?'

Astelle paused, a sudden realization dawning on her. The root of Kaizen's anger was her hidden intentions for attending the ball. His refusal to send Theor and her grandfather back was a direct result of this. Despite understanding his reasoning, Astelle found herself unable to fully comprehend it.

"Isn't that so?" Kaizen asked, his smile vanishing.

"Why is it so crucial for you to send Theor back with your grandfather?" He questioned, his voice laced with confusion.

"Your Majesty, why are you insisting on bringing them to the capital? What is the purpose of their presence?" Astelle retorted with a question of her own.

"If I don't take them, you'll be left once the work in the capital is over," he replied.

"Is it so strange that I wish to return home?"

"Home? You consider the Marquis's residence your home?" Kaizen's words were laced with disbelief.

His frustration mirrored Astelle's, but unlike her, he was oblivious to the source of his anger. "How long do you plan on living in that house, caring for a child?"

Kaizen was equally frustrated and furious, yet he couldn't pinpoint the exact reason behind his anger, unlike Astelle.

"How long do you intend to remain at that house, looking after a child?" Kaizen now mentioned Theor.

"What about when Theor grows up? What if he eventually marries and becomes a new marquis? Will you still reside there?" Astelle was left speechless momentarily, struck by his words.

'Is your anger tied to your concerns about my future?'

"Thank you for your concern, Your Majesty. Is it because you dislike my residence at my grandfather's house?" Astelle questioned calmly.

"Yeah, I suppose you could...!" Kaizen began to shout before catching his mistake.

He desired Astelle to reside in the capital, within his proximity. Once this journey ended, Astelle would depart again, to the far eastern edge, out of his reach. There was a realization that they might never cross paths again in their lifetime.

Every time Kaizen dwelled on that, a storm of anger and confusion stirred within him.

"Why do you want me to live in the capital?" Astelle asked.

Kaizen even questioned himself about why he was doing this.

Astelle's thoughts regarding Kaizen had always remained a perplexing enigma to him. However, as she posed that question, a sudden revelation struck him like a bolt of lightning.

Why did her departure evoke such a profound sense of unease within him? Why did her mere presence at the ball fill him with joy, while the mere thought of her leaving plunged him into distress?

He couldn't contain the truth any longer. "I wish you were by my side," he confessed, surprising Astelle.

For a moment, she couldn't fathom what she just heard under the cold moonlight illuminating the white acacia petals.

The fragrance of the flowers wafted through the dimly lit tea room, painting a serene picture of the night. Yet, an uneasy silence hung between them.

"Do you wish me to remain with you, Your Majesty?" Astelle asked, taken aback by Kaizen's unexpected plea.