Chapter 78

The Duke chuckled, seemingly amused by his son's perplexed expression.

"You used to be the emperor's childhood companion, yet you can't recognize your own nephew? It's evident from his appearance alone that he's Kaizen's son," the Duke remarked casually.

Fritz gazed at Theor with quivering eyes, his heart heavy with realization. Even through his tears, Theor's eyes remained a vivid ruby red.

At the sight of Theor, Fritz knew instantly that he was Astelle's child. Theor bore no resemblance to Sigmund whatsoever.

Instead, his slender frame, the contour of his ears, lips, and hands, all bore a striking resemblance to Astelle.

And Fritz, who had been close to Sigmund like a brother, knew for certain that Sigmund had never had a lover.

He found it difficult to believe when he learned of the birth of a child from Sigmund, prompting him to send numerous letters to his maternal grandfather. As he pieced together the information from these letters, only one conclusion became clear...

Theor was Astelle's child.

However, the identity of the father remained unknown to him.

At one point, he had considered that Theor bore a resemblance to the emperor, but he never entertained the idea that Theor could be the emperor's son.

Above all, Theor's eye color served as the most compelling evidence, leaving him with no room for doubt.

"Duke," Lyndon's voice interrupted his thoughts, drawing his attention to the doorway.

Moments ago, Lyndon had dispatched a knight to the Imperial Palace to inform the Emperor about Theor. However, before any response could arrive, a messenger from the Emperor had already reached them.

"His Majesty has requested your presence, Prince... Young Master Theor, at Lady Astelle's residence immediately," Lyndon relayed.

"It appears that my daughter has acquiesced to His Majesty's proposition, doesn't it?" the Duke remarked.

Lyndon remained silent in response to the Duke's question, instead embracing Theor tightly.

"Young Master Theor, I will accompany you."

• 🍁 •

Astelle anxiously awaited Theor's arrival. Kaizen exited the drawing-room after agreeing to fulfill Astelle's conditions. It seemed he hadn't left the mansion but needed some time alone to process the shocking news he had just received.

The decision for marriage to Kaizen had been made, albeit as a mere formality.

While Astelle would continue to fulfill her role as empress, their marriage would lack genuine connection.

'There's no other option for now,' she reasoned with herself.

Escaping from the imperial palace would only be feasible if Theor's true father remained undisclosed. However, with Theor's identity now exposed, there seemed to be no escape from their current circumstances.

Despite her aversion to returning to the imperial palace, Astelle resolved to endure it if it meant protecting Theor.

Securing the position of Empress and ensuring Theor's safety outweighed engaging in any external power struggle beyond the palace walls.

"I will do whatever it takes," Astelle affirmed to herself, her determination unwavering.

Above all else, her priority was protecting Theor.