Chapter 72

After the charity ball, Astelle's life took a turn towards confinement, as she found herself restricted within the opulent mansion. Despite this change, the semblance of her daily routine remained largely unchanged.

The luxurious mansion continued to surround her with lavish hospitality, ensuring that she was provided with every comfort.

The estate bustled with an abundance of attendants, maids, and servants who catered to Astelle's needs promptly and without hesitation. They ensured she lacked for nothing and offered her complete freedom to move about the expansive mansion at her leisure.

Within the grand confines of the mansion, Astelle had the freedom to wander wherever her heart desired.

Astelle experienced a luxurious form of confinement within the mansion, where she had unrestricted movement within its walls, except for the gates that prevented her from leaving. Although she had the freedom to explore even the rooftop vistas, she couldn't escape the feeling that the estate was like a gilded cage—a space that was lavish and opulent, yet still confining in its own way.

Seeking some semblance of an end to her seclusion, Astelle ventured into the garden where she encountered Lyndon.

With a tinge of frustration, she questioned him, "Sir Lyndon, how much longer must I remain here?"

Lyndon, wearing a perplexed expression, repeated the same response he had conveyed numerous times before. "I'm sorry, Lady Astelle."

"Has His Majesty made any decisions yet?" Astelle asked, hoping for a different answer this time.

Lyndon somberly shook his head in response.

Astelle wrestled with her surging anger, maintaining her composure despite the mounting frustration. Her initial intention had been to depart immediately after the ball concluded, but unforeseen circumstances disrupted her plans.

Under Kaizen's guise of protection, Astelle found herself confined within the mansion. Despite her repeated requests for an audience, she was met with silence, leaving her in a state of perplexity and uncertainty about her situation.

"Understood. Please convey to His Majesty once more that I'm requesting an audience," Astelle instructed Lyndon.

"Yes, Lady Astelle. I will ensure His Majesty is informed," Lyndon assured her earnestly.

Astelle strolled towards the far end of the garden, the presence of Imperial Palace knights evident both inside the mansion and throughout the sprawling greenery.

Whenever she passed, these knights displayed deference through restrained gestures, yet their lingering glances betrayed a hidden curiosity.

Astelle couldn't blame others for finding the situation intriguing. Rumors about Astelle had ignited across the capital like wildfire.

The Emperor's decision to reinstate the deposed empress and publicly propose was truly astonishing. A woman, accompanied by her child, now had the prospect of becoming Empress, a notion almost unheard of, especially considering the child's illegitimate birth.

Astelle's mere existence became a source of fascination, capturing the intense curiosity of the public. Speculations and stories about her circulated widely, creating a vivid but diverse tapestry of narratives surrounding her circumstances.

The rumors reverberated throughout the capital, painting various narratives about Astelle. Some spoke of her as a fleeting empress, banished after a mere day of marriage. Others whispered about a princess who had mysteriously disappeared for six years, only to resurface with her illegitimate child. And then there were those who believed she had once again captured the Emperor's affection.