Chapter 37

Collins POV

  Sitting in my apartment my thumb flicks over the mouse of my laptop while my eyes scan the local job openings.  There's a bar just down the road, Legends, that's hiring and while I'm not overly interested in bartending I save the information for later should I not find something else. 

  I glance over at the time stamp on the screen, noticing it's nearing lunchtime. But even more important or exciting than grabbing a bite to eat, is the fact that Curtis and Lennox are coming back home today.  

  Christmas day had been only slightly more interesting the hours following my phone call with Curtis.  Paul seemed to have a bit of a scowl on his face the rest of the day, excusing himself and heading back home shortly after lunch.  

  He never did finish asking his question, thank heavens.

  Mark stayed pretty neutral in conversation. We talked about the game the night before, he beamed every time he mentioned Curtis which I think irked Paul a bit more each time, especially after learning he and Mak had given their blessing for him to ask me on a date.  

  I gave silent thanks to my big brother for speaking Curtis' praises so abundantly over the Christmas ham. 

  That is until the evening came around.  The kids begged to watch Home Alone, but both of them conked out on the couch thirty minutes in, leaving myself to a lightning round of questions by my big brother and his wife. 

  "How'd you meet Everett?"

  At least he's easing me in, I suppose.  "He's my neighbor.  We live in the same apartment building. Do you not know where your players live? What kind of coach are you?" I joke, trying to keep the discussion light.

  "Apparently there's a lot of things I don't know about my players," he admits, sitting up a little straighter on the couch. Paige's head shifts a bit on his thigh, causing her to roll over towards the back of the couch.  Mark lovingly brushes his hand over her hair, helping lull her back to sleep.  "Did you know he was a player?"

  I can't stop myself from teasing. I blame it on lack of sleep and the fact that I swear I can still feel the pressure of his lips on my own. "Define player." 

  Mark blinks slowly at me, leaving me to guess that he's not enjoying my clapback. "Well, do you mean an on ice player, or off ice player? Because, honestly it's the same answer for either. No, I didn't know he was a player on any team, let alone yours.  And as far as off the ice, I don't actually know the answer to that either, so, no."

  "Any idea why he kept his daughter a secret from the organization? From his team?"  My brother doesn't look at me when he speaks this time, focused solely on his own daughter. 

 "I love you but that's not my story to tell."

  I don't really know how much Curtis would want his coach knowing about his situation anyways, but I stand by my statement. I'm not a part of their story, so I'll keep my mouth shut. 

  Except for one thing.

  "He loves that little girl with everything in him. That's all you really need to know."

  Mark finally looks back at me, his hand still mindlessly petting over Paige's hair. "Is it though? Is that all I need to know? You don't think I need to worry about where his mind is going to be when he takes the ice? You don't think I need to know if I've got to worry about him flitting off from an away game again, bringing down the team with his own baggage."

  I'm a half a second away from laying into him for calling Lennox baggage, but Mak beats me to it.  "I don't seem to recall anyone in the NHL worrying about you and your baggage, Mark."