Chapter 39

Collins POV

Walking into the arena today feels very different than it was Christmas Eve. It's only been a week and yet my life feels as though it's been upheaved.

Who am I kidding? My life always feels like it's getting flipped and twisted, at least this time it might be more enjoyable.

Curtis stopped by the apartment for all of two minutes on his way to the stadium. It was just long enough for him to look worried that I might back out of our evening together.

"Lucky for you nothing better has come along," I tell him, feeling a little smug and maybe a lot flirty.

Bless it all because the poor man looks as though I might have actually only been holding onto this date until something better came along. I mean, yeah Paul offered, excuse me, told me he was taking me out but I DOA'd that in classic Collins fashion.

"Well, there are still a few hours for your dream to come true," he offers a nervous laugh, his hand not holding onto his equipment bag coming up to rub at the back of his neck.

I want to play a little more, taking it a little further but also hoping I can ease his mind a bit. "Does that mean you're taking me to a real hockey game tonight? I mean I've heard the Raleigh Renegades are only so-so. Although that Thaddeus Horn seems like he could show a girl a good time. Oh, but that goalie," I snap my fingers before tapping my chin repeatedly. "What's his name? What's his name?"

Curtis' eyes both light in amusement and wonder as he awaits whatever direction I'm about to take this.

I let my own eyes widen in surprise. "Everett! Curtis Everett! I've heard he's the top in his game right now. Best in the league. Maybe it won't be so bad if that's where we end up, I suppose."

The man in front of me appears to be holding back a laugh, but I really wish he'd just let it go, fill these quiet halls with the hearty sound of his happiness. Happiness that maybe I'm the cause of. A girl can dream.

When he drops his equipment to the floor with a quiet thud, I'm the one about to burst to the brim as he takes a step closer towards me, leaning down just enough that I can feel his breath against my ear.

"I've heard he has great hands and really knows how to use his stick."

With that I'm the one clamming up, a heat filling my cheeks. It only gets worse as he snickers, the light and quiet sound hitting my ear. "See you at eight." He steps back, grabs the equipment bag once more and strolls down the hallway like he owns it.

You certainly do, Mr. Everett. You certainly do.

Curtis POV

It may be a holiday. It might be early afternoon. But the arena is packed, filled with fans ready to watch us win another.

I'm ready to have the game of my life.

I'd decided when I went into the ECHL that I'd do my best every game, making it better than the last. One might say that my last game would be hard to beat. Hell, even the clip they showed on ESPN had the guys saying I'm at the top of my game. To me, there never is a top. When you reach the top, all you have left is to go down. But if your mind set is continuously reaching a top that maybe doesn't exist past infinity, then you're always striving to do better.

That's my goal.

Skating out onto the ice, the crowd roars, coming to life as we circle casually around during our announcement.  We take our blue line, prepared for the National Anthem.

  I'd glanced around the arena a bit during warm ups, not spotting my mom or Collins just yet. But during this time, with my helmet off, I glance to the section Collins had been in just the week prior, finding her with Coach's family, and the guy who called me her boss.  She catches me watching, causing me to duck my head, my skates moving ever so slightly against the ice.