Chapter 43

Curtis POV

  Collins tucks the phone into her purse as I watch her brother and sister in law drive off. The scowl that covered her sister's face was absolutely comical considering the concert for one her husband was putting on just for her.  

  He may have even leaned his back against the car and ran his hands down his body to imitate the actual pouring of sugar the way the song suggests. I'm pretty sure we as a team won't be the only happy ones to not have practice tomorrow.  Coach is going to be sweating whatever liquor he tried drowning in while his wife probably slams cabinets and pots around all day while encouraging the kids to be as loud as humanly possible.

  Kind of sad I'm not gonna get to see it.

  "I think we're in the clear," I say quietly, my hand brushing against her lower back.  "You ready to do this?"

  Her dark brown eyes look up at me under long lashes. They're not overly thick, very different from most women I'd come across at a bar after a game. They're real, not fake, just like Collins.  

"You make it sound like I'm walking into a firing squad." There's a hint of trepidation in her voice.

  "Well," I realize I hadn't quite had the chance to tell her about my easy slip of the tongue during the third period. I tuck my hands deep into my pockets, rocking back on my heels. "I might've clued in a friend about the date, but more than that I told a couple of the guys about Lennox."

  "Really!" It's not a question, it's genuine surprise and excitement on her face.  Her arms sweep through mine, her chest coming closer to mine as she hugs me tightly, bouncing on her toes. "That's amazing, Curtis! I'm so proud of you."

  The hug is not nearly long enough, I can't even get my hands out of my pockets fast enough to reciprocate which makes me feel a little like a jackass. But Collins is suddenly full of joy over something so simple that she's now doing a little dance in front of me.  

  "She's so proud of you! I just know it."

  My brows pull together, head tilting to the side. "Who?" I ask.

  Collins stops her wiggling, looks up at me and puts a hand on her hip.  "Lennox. She's proud of you for being proud of her."

  "She can't talk, Collins," I remind her, the corner of my mouth ticking up .

  She matches me with a quirk of her brow. "Maybe not to you, but she talks to me all the time," she rolls her eyes. "Tells me how she thinks you're a great hockey player. Even says you should think about giving me a raise because I'm really her favorite person ever."

  I'm biting back my smile now, taking a step closer to the woman in front of me who steps further back with each of my steps forward until her back is against the wall once more.  "A raise, huh?  I don't know that I remember paying you even once for watching my little girl.  Figured getting to spend time with the best kid in the world was payment enough."

  I don't truly believe that, and I'm playing off the fact that I feel like a complete jackass for not paying her. But, that would be weird now, right?

  Her throat bobs for a moment as my hand settles on the bricks above her head.  If she's nervous, she doesn't exactly show it in big gestures. "Well, that and seeing her father without a shirt has certainly helped. But, a girl has got to make a little bank to survive. Maybe it's time to put these heels back into rotation."

  The heels. We're back to whatever part of her history she hasn't shared.  Truthfully, she hasn't shared much at all.

  "Alright, gorgeous. I'll bite," I say, my knuckle running gently over the apple of her cheek. "Tell me about the heels."