Chapter 54

Collins POV

  The phone doesn't ring the second night the Renegades play Atlanta. I know because I sat up until one in the morning waiting. Then when I couldn't fight the temptation of sleep any longer I laid the cell by my head, volume on high. If that wasn't enough I checked it every time I woke up which thanks to the panic inside my mind was every fifteen to thirty minutes.  

  Lennox slept through the night, but I sure didn't. The pounding in my head and scratchiness of my eyes is evidence of the restless night.  I don't bother lifting my head from the pillow, my hand automatically reaching for the phone for the hundredth time.

  No calls. No texts. No voice messages.  All I see is a bleary time of eight forty-seven across the top of my wallpaper. A wallpaper that happened to be the photo of Curtis, Lennox and I that his mother insisted on taking New Years day at the rink. 

  I thought they'd be traveling all night by bus. From Atlanta to Estero, Florida was over an eight hour drive. From what Mark has told me in the past they'd ride all night, go straight into a morning practice and then be in a hotel after lunch. 

  But maybe they had another night in Atlanta with an early wake up call for the trip. The next game wasn't for another thirty-six hours. 

  So why didn't Curtis call or text me? I'd have been happy with a simple 'did you see that save' or 'I'm exhausted, talk tomorrow.' But, I didn't get anything. 

  I know he played a hell of a game. The man played a full sixty minute regular play, then on to overtime, just to have to keep the puck out through sudden death over time.  Give him and the defensive line a medal.

  I also know what happens after those great monumental games.  Drinks at the hotel bar lead to overnight roommates that you're shoving into an Uber before any of your coaches see.

  That's not Curtis though, right? He told me he hasn't been with anyone since Lennox came into his life and now he has me. I'm a total catch, a big dumpster fire of hot mess but still, why would he think of looking elsewhere?

  You don't put out, Collins.

  You don't reward him for a job well done. Sure, you kiss and play tonsil hockey but you're not letting the man get off first base.

  He's going to find a woman who will push him over every base, he won't even have to ask.

  He's going to find someone without your baggage, Collins. Then you really will just be the babysitter.

  Babysitter. Focus, woman. That's your job right now. There's a little girl who's probably starving and ready for breakfast.

  Throwing back the covers with an agitated groan, I pop my medicine quickly in the hopes that it'll keep me from spiraling any further down my self pity rabbit hole.  

  When it's just Lennox and I in the apartment I keep Curtis' bedroom door wide open and her door cracked. I don't want to rely on the baby monitor on the off chance the batteries decide to die in the middle of the night. 

  I'm thankful to hear sweet babbling when I push the door open the rest of the way.  As soon as she sees me, Lennox is grabbing the top  of the crib to pull herself up. "CaCa!" she squeals in delight, pointing up at me.

  "Good morning, my angel girl," I scoop her into my arms, kissing both of her cheeks. "Did you sleep good? Have sweet dreams?"  She smooshes my own cheeks between her hands as she attempts to eat my nose. "How about breakfast out today?"

  This little one blesses me more than I could've ever thought possible. I loved when my niece and nephew were little like this, but there's something different about it being Lennox. I swear I think I love the little girl as if she was my own flesh and blood.