Chapter 75

Curtis POV

Collins' soft hand is enveloped in mine as I lead her through the tables of the restaurant and out the glass doors. The silence between us is deafening, but I can't bring myself to speak yet. If I speak, I fear what will come out of my mouth. It could be anywhere from 'your brother can screw himself' to 'Lennox and I are your family now.'

Neither would be a smart choice, so I keep my mouth shut.

Mark questioned her statement: "too little too late." I knew exactly what she meant, her assault. But she'd never opened up to him or her sister in law about the attack, having kept it to herself and struggling with the ramifications ever since. 

If I hadn't stood up when I did, tossing that cash on the table, I'm not sure it would've remained a secret for much longer. There's only so far you can push Collins until she's either a weeping mess in the floor due to her overactive mind or closed off forever. I don't want her brother or his family to experience either option. However, my loyalty lies with the woman who holds my heart as easily as she holds my daughter's hand. 

Which means if she wants to haul off insults towards Mark, I'll stand by her and comfort her when she realizes the severity of her words and actions. It also means that if she wants to brush it under the rug for another day, week, month or year, I'll be there holding the broom and giving her the reassurance she needs in her choice.

But right now my heart is pounding, a resounding thud in my chest that matches my dress shoes against the pavement. I'm still in my suit, Collins is in my jersey. I make the decision without her that we head back to the hotel to change before going out.

If she even wants to go out at this point.

I won't blame her if all she wants to do is take a hot bath and climb into her bed. Sleep allows her mind to rest, and after our evening of spit balling with her brother, she deserves an escape. I wonder if she brought one of her books, or her E reader. I could run her a bubble bath and just let her be with her story, escape reality for a bit.

There's a part of me that has the same wish for myself, minus the book and bath. There's a lot of truth to be said that I didn't have near the hate fueled fire in my chest just a few months ago. I could come and go, get my job done and return home to my little girl without a single worry about what my coach thought of me off the ice.

I curse my brain for even entertaining a moments thought of what life was like before Collins.

Life was boring before the whirlwind of Collins Kennedy.

Sure, I could string together a full sentence without being interrupted. I could even get through a day without hearing a demeaning nickname.

But damn. I wouldn't go back to any of that. Hell, I signed my note to her with that blasted nickname she dubbed me.

Stepping onto the hotel elevator, she releases my hand and moves to the opposite side, away from me. I take a tentative step towards her and stop when I see her teeth gnawing at her bottom lip and her fingers fidgeting. 

If she gave me even one glance, I could at least attempt to read her more clearly. But her focus stays anywhere other than my vicinity which tells me I've screwed up the best thing in my life. 

Her fingers run through her brown locks, pulling them over one shoulder as the elevator doors open. She steps out in front of me, giving me one of my most favorite views.

My name on her back.

It's what I want for the rest of my life. Yet, I may have just thrown all of that away by letting my temper flare towards the most important person in her life.