⟡ 4) Brother ⟡

~⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡☆⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡~

Y/n POV:
"I think you guys might be right. Based on what Y/n has told me so far about her brother, he wouldn't do this without a good reason. There needed to have been an absolute need for him to know this information. Something that goes beyond just finding out about your history. Something much more imperative" Ranpo states.

I remain silent, pondering this ever growing mystery that has been bestowed before me. 'Something more imperative? Like what? What could possibly be so important about my parents and my past that someone had to keep my brother from spreading that information, or even learning about it? What secret had they been hiding? Who are they?'

"Based on the information we've accumulated so far, your adopted parents, or rather your mother, knew your biological parents. She probably didn't know much about them and was most likely paid to take you in and prevent you from searching for them" Dazai states.

"Quite the contrary. Y/n's biological parents were the ones who were paid to give up their daughter to her adoptive parents" Ranpo explains, contradicting Dazai's last statement.

"So... they basically bought me. But why? Why would they go through all that trouble just for me?" I ask.

"Are you a Gifted? They might have wanted you for your ability" Dazai asks me.

"I mean, I am but I don't know what they would need my ability for since it mainly works as a defensive-type ability. It's not used for offensive purposes. Unless some other Gifted person is after them, they wouldn't need it" I explain.

"Well, the sole fact that you're Gifted is enough to peak their interest in you, whether or not it's of any use to them. It's enough for them that they obtained something that's extremely rare" Ranpo explains.

"What is your ability, if you don't mind me asking?" Atsushi asks me.

"Nullification" I say.

~

After I stated what my ability was, the room fell silent. Everyone froze in their seats, even the people who weren't at the table but had overheard our conversation froze. They all stayed staring at me, as if I said the most shocking revelation they had ever heard.

"Um... is everything alright...?" I ask, scared that I said something I shouldn't have, even though I don't recall saying anything to result in such a reaction from them.

They all simultaneously turned their heads towards Dazai, who kept his gaze on me.

"Ranpo-san... Do you think...?" Dazai starts but Ranpo responds before he can finish his sentence.

"Most likely. But just to be sure..." Ranpo says before turning his head to me and asking me, "When's your birthday?"

"Um... June 19..." I say skeptically, wondering where this question came from and why he needed to know.

"And you're 22, right?" Ranpo asks me.

"Yes..." I say, even more confused.

"Well, then there's no doubt about it... You're Dazai's twin sister" Ranpo concludes.

'Huh? Huh?! HUH?!'

"WHAT?!" I shout, trying to take this all in. "I'm... he's... we're..." I struggle to formulate my thoughts into words, speaking only the first word of each thought.

"We'll give you a moment to collect your thoughts. You've just had a tremendous amount of information dumped on you. We can resume our investigation later, if that's alright with you" Ranpo suggests, while walking back to his desk.

"Yeah, that's fine. I'd like to take a quick breather outside if that's okay with you guys" I say.

"Of course. Take all the time you need" Atsushi says with a comforting smile.

I made my way towards the exit and began walking around for a bit to gather my thoughts. 'So, I learned that my mother hired someone to kidnap my brother but the kidnapper's true intentions are related to me for some reason. My biological parents sold me for money and are possibly hiding some earth-shattering secret. And on top of that, I apparently have a twin brother whom I was separated from at birth. Fun.'

I accidentally bumped into someone while I was lost in thought. They stumbled back a bit, seeming very angry with me which is understandable; his red hair falling in front of his bright blue eyes.

"I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings" I apologize to the man.

"You little... Dazai?!" He says, stepping back from confusion.

"I'm not... I mean, you have mistaken me for someone else" I correct myself, remembering that I technically am a Dazai.

"Are you sure you're not Dazai trying to play a trick on me?" He asks, getting closer to me.

"Yes, I'm sure. My name is Y/n. I don't even know who Dazai is" I say, lying about the last part because this guy seems to have a severe hatred towards Dazai, for some reason.

"Is that so? Nevermind then. I'll let you go on with your day" He said while walking past me, not sparing me a single glance.

'Who was that? Maybe I'll ask Dazai.'

I decided to walk back to the Detective Agency's office building, unintentionally walking in the same direction as the red-haired man I bumped into. He seemed to have noticed me, somehow, and glanced back while glaring at me. I moved my eyes towards the floor, not wanting to meet his deadly glare. I kept walking forward when I saw a pair of feet in front of me, forcing me to stop. I raise my head to see the same man with his arms crossed, an unpleasant facial expression making its way to his face.

"Why are you following me?" He asks, his voice becoming a lot lower and more intimidating than before.

"I'm not, I promise. I just decided that I should return to my prior arrangements, since I noticed that I should head back soon to finish our business. If you'd like, I can go on ahead of you so you know that I'm not following you" I explain, suggesting a solution to this situation I unfortunately got myself into.

"Fine, but if I find out that you're following me, I'll kill you" He threatens.

"G-Got it" I say as my hands and face begin to sweat from nervousness.

I continue backtracking my steps so that I can get back to the Agency; the man walking a good amount of distance behind me, watching my every move. 'I really hope he leaves soon.'

After a while, I stop and look back to see if he's still following me. To my relief, he's nowhere to be seen. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding and continued on my way. Although I know he's not following anymore, I still feel like he's watching me. I pick up my pace a bit so I can arrive sooner rather than later, hoping to try and shake away this lingering feeling of his eyes on me.

~

Chuuya POV:
Me: "Boss, I found her."

Boss: "Good. Be on standby for further instructions."

~⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡☆⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡~