⟡ 10) Uncovering the Murderer ⟡

~⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡☆⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡~

Y/n POV:
"A job? What kind?" Osamu asks.

~

"Wh-Wh-Wh-What a tragedy. What a great tragedy this is, that a young woman in her prime has lost her life. Sorrow is crushing my heart! She may as well have committed double suicide with me!" Osamu shouts.

"Who the hell is he?" Minoura asks.

"A colleague at the Agency. That's just how he is," Ranpo answered.

"He's also my brother..." I say after him.

"But rest in peace, m'lady. An extraordinary amazing detective will avenge you. Right, Ranpo-san?" Osamu says.

"But I have yet to get the job itself," Ranpo explains.

"What? Why?" Osamu asks.

"Ask this man," Ranpo says.

"We have no need for detectives. In fact, all of my subordinates are far superior to any private detective," Minoura states.

"Oh? You, what's your name?" Ranpo asks, pointing towards the other officer from before.

"What? I am Sergeant Sugimoto. The victim, Ms. Yamagiwa, was my senior!" Sugimoto says, raising his hand to salute.

'Oh? That's a pretty cool watch.'

'Wait, I feel like I've seen it before.'

'That's right. This lady is wearing a similar watch, almost identical.'

"All right, Sugimoto-kun. Solve this case in sixty seconds, starting now," Ranpo demands.

"What?!" Sugimoto exclaims, startled by the sudden demand.

"I can solve it in under a minute. If you're as good as he says you are, you should be able to do the same. Okay, give it a try, Sugimoto-kun!" Ranpo says.

"What?! Um, okay, well... Sixty seconds is a bit overkill, isn't it?!" Sugimoto says.

"Okay, fifty seconds left," Ranpo informs him.

"What?!" Sugimoto exclaims once more.

"Oh, right. Yamagiwa-senpai was pursuing a political corruption case and also investigating the Port Mafia. I believe the murderer's M.O. is similar to the Mafia's method of exacting retribution. Maybe she was killed by the mafia members she was investigating—" Sugimoto explains but Osamu interrupts him.

"Incorrect," Osamu states.

"What?" Sugimoto says, questioning Osamu's statement.

"The Port Mafia's retaliatory methods are as highly specific as a government-issued ID. First, the traitor is forced to bite the curb, then they kick the back of their head to shatter the jaw. As their victim writhes in agony, they flip him over, then shoot them in the chest three times," Osamu explains.

"If we're being specific, yes, but..." Sugimoto starts, unable to finish his sentence.

"So this M.O. is similar to the Mafia's, but not the same. That means..." Osamu starts.

"An attempt at a cover-up?" Minoura says, finishing Osamu's sentence.

"Shooting two extra rounds into the body just for that? How cruel," Sugimoto says.

'Extra? Why would he think they were extra and not three consecutive shots?'

"Beep! Okay, time's up! Too bad, you've got a ways to go before you reach my level. At the very least, this proved that your subordinates aren't all superior to me," Ranpo proclaims.