⟡ 18) Forging Ahead ⟡

~⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡☆⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡~

Y/n POV:
"Are you really going to go?" Yosano asks me as I equip my weapons into their respective spots.

"I have to. I need to protect my brother. I can't leave him alone again," I say, heading for the door.

"Alright, I'll let you go. But don't blame me if someone complains about your decision," Yosano says.

"You're the best," I say, opening the door and looking back at her with a smile.

"I know," she says, lightly chuckling.

I close the door behind me and make my way over to my car. I parked it pretty far away from the base so that it wouldn't be spotted as easily.

After finally reaching my car, I drove over to the place where Yosano said that Kunikida and Tanizaki would be heading towards. I was going a little faster than usual but I was still playing it safe, unlike my brother who can't be trusted to drive a car even two feet.

As I'm driving up the hill, I see a car being lifted up by what looks like tree roots.

'That's Haru, Naomi, and Haruno!'

(A/n~ I am just now realizing that Haru and Haruno have pretty much the same name. That was completely unintentional.)

I stopped the car just in front of the tree roots, quickly getting out. I notice that the blond man and his partner from before are here. The blond man has the same roots coming out of his neck, making me realize that this must be the work of his ability. My initial thought was to nullify it but then the car would fall and crash and I didn't want to risk hurting them.

I instead took out my gun and shot the part of the roots that were growing out of his neck to prevent him from crushing the car even more. At the same time, Tanizaki and Kunikida show up. Kunikida shoots the taller guy while Tanizaki climbs up the roots to help them escape, advising them to head for the train.

"Y/n?! What are you doing here?!" Kunikida shouts.

"I'll explain that later. For now, let's just focus on getting them to safety," I say, slowly approaching the guy to nullify his ability.

"Fine, but you better have a good reason for leaving the defense team," Kunikida says, taking out his own gun and pointing it at the blond man. "Don't even think about moving."

"I thought this might happen. My sources weren't very reliable," the man says.

As I'm approaching him, a tree root comes shooting towards me, which I easily nullify.

"How did you—" Before he could finish his sentence, I launched forward and punched him straight in the face.

"I hate to break it to you, but your ability won't have any effect on me," I say while looking at his fallen figure.

"Not bad, newbie," Kunikida says while walking up to me.

"What can I say? I'm a quick learner," I respond with a smile while shrugging my shoulders.

Kunikida looks down at the man, gun pointed straight at him. "A secret organization from the superpower abducting people abroad, I see."

"That hurts to hear. My boss told me, though, that the Guild isn't an organization that does good. It's an organization that does what needs to be done," the man says right before the other taller man miraculously regains consciousness and stands up.

"Kunikida-san, behind you!" Tanizaki shouts.

"What?!" Kunikida shouts, turning around and shooting the man, only for his attack to have no effect.