⟡ 13) New Kids Take Charge ⟡

~⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡☆⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡⟡~

Y/n POV:
Me and Atsushi begin to crawl towards the side of the ship in order to prevent us from breathing in the smoke.

"Brat! Y/n! Over here! I can't come any closer with those explosions! Jump!" Kunikida shouts.

I turned to Atsushi to see what he was going to do. He seemed to be thinking about something.

"What are you doing? Hurry up! The ship's going to sink!" Kunikida shouts, hurrying us to quickly jump off the sinking ship.

Atsushi's gaze lands behind us, where Kyouka is being held by the Port Mafia member.

"You idiot! How much more trouble are you going to cause the Agency? Everyone's working unpaid right now!" Kunikida shouts, Atsushi flinching slightly at Kunikida's first comment.

"What about her?" Atsushi asks.

"Let that girl go! Not all innocent people can be saved. I've failed many times, too! That's the kind of city we're in, and the job we have!" Kunikida shouts.

"She can't be saved?" Atsushi asks.

"That's right. We're not heroes. I've wished so many times that we were. But we're not!" Kunikida shouts as another explosion goes off. "Brat! Y/n!"

"She... She said the crêpe she had with us tasted great. She was told worthless human beings have no right to breathe, and she thought maybe that was true. I don't think so. Because Dazai-san... the Agency... didn't give up on me! Or Y/n-san! I'm going!" Atsushi says.

"Me too. I said that I'd help you and I'm standing by it," I tell Atsushi as we begin to run off into the smoke.

"Hey!" Kunikida shouts, pausing for a moment before shouting, "Run! Run, Atsushi! Run, Y/n!"

"Distract Akutagawa while I grab Kyouka," Atsushi says.

"Okay," I replied.

Ahead of us, I can see the man named Akutagawa about to pierce Kyouka with his ability. Without a second to spare, I ran towards him, reaching out my hand to nullify his ability while Atsushi runs up and grabs Kyouka.

Akutagawa noticed me first so his attack was a little slow, giving Atsushi a little extra time to get Kyouka. Akutagawa then grabbed me by the neck, which I expected. My hands instinctively went to his wrist in a poor attempt to get him to release me.

"Fight me, Akutagawa! Leave her out of this!" Atsushi shouts.

'If I do that... would it work? Well, I won't know until I try.'

Since Akutagawa's body was still facing Atsushi, meaning I'm facing his side, I swung my left leg as hard as I could at his knees in an attempt to throw him off balance, then I spun around in the opposite direction of my kick and used my right leg to knock him down. As soon as he hit the ground, his grip around my neck loosened, giving me the opportunity to escape.

"I appreciate the concern, Atsushi-kun, but I can take care of myself. I'll make sure that Kyouka is safe. You can deal with him," I say, taking a moment to catch my breath before quickly making my way over to where Atsushi had placed Kyouka.

"It now seems curious to me, but I felt things between us would end up like this eventually," Akutagawa says to Atsushi.

"You'll miss out on the bounty," Atsushi says.

"Don't worry. I had no such intentions of handing you over to them alive. Either of you," Akutagawa says.

"I can't forgive you," Atsushi says.