Candy Cadet Recaps: The Dark Rebirth [Sort of]

In the midst of a well lit industrial workshop, a middle-aged businessman with silver-streaked ebony hair and an elderly engineer sit parallel to a peculiar, weathered robot with features that were something out of an ancient sci-fi flick (that didn't resemble any machines in the year of 2077 at all). It was bluish grey with two broken antennae, a missing left arm and two big wheels below. Its head was covered with several constantly changing multi-colored lights. At the centre of its torso, a candy dispenser slide caught their eyes along with a silver label affixed to its chest which read: "The Candy Cadet." 

"So what's this thing again Mr Burrows?" The engineer adjusts his glasses, scooting his rolling chair closer to the machine.

"An old relic we found in the storage room, I want you to see if it can still function. Perhaps we can repurpose it as a bot at the Pizzaplex Plus?"

The engineer meticulously examined the robot, searching for any buttons, wires or power connections to bring it to life until he spotted two coin slots at the very bottom.

Pulling out his wallet, he inserts one of his four antique Fazcoins into the Robot which instantly stirs to life, its multicoloured lights flashing as it spoke its first words so long:

Thank you for your Fazcoin....Unfortunately, I have no candy at my disposal but nonetheless, I shall a reward you with a trilogy of woe: The tale of a Heartless Prince and a Humble Inventor whose lives, when entwined, ended in tragedy.

Once upon a time in a far-off kingdom, there lived a young prince Liam. His peculiar condition set him apart from others, for he was said to be born without a heart, leaving him seemingly devoid of empathy. Despite the questions and whispers that surrounded his strange existence, his parents, the reigning king and queen, showed no concern, as they had an heir to carry on their rule, even if it was to be ruthless.

One fateful day, the king decided to visit a nearby village where a group of skilled craftsmen had gathered to display their finest creations. Among the craftsmen, a brilliant inventor had caught the king's eye with his remarkable singing Automatons. Impressed by his talents, the king appointed him as his Royal Inventor, granting him and his shy son Einri a place to live in the palace.

Einri was a solitary child, spending much of his time alone in the vast palace. It was here that he crossed paths with Prince Liam, who reached out to the lonesome boy. Thus began a unique friendship between the prince and Einri, who was the only child his age living within the castle walls.

As the years passed, Liam and Einri grew up together, eventually taking up their fathers' roles after they passed away. However, while Einri remained a kind-hearted soul, Liam's heartlessness began to manifest itself. He concealed his true nature behind a friendly facade, keeping his darker desires and ambitions hidden.

What's more, after a near-death experience after falling off a horse into a ravine and being scarred, Liam's had begun to develop a fear of death that over the years, had grown into an obsession. He longed for immortality at any cost, believing that eternal life would fill the void in his empty heart. Determined to attain this unattainable dream, he delved into the dark arts and alchemy in his relentless quest.

Meanwhile while he carried out his research in secret, Liam's best and only friend Einri, fell in love with a simple cottage woman, and they had a daughter together. This new family brought him great joy, and he spent more and more time away from the castle, leaving Liam to seethe with jealousy. His envy reached a breaking point when he could stand it no longer.

In a sinister plot, Liam orchestrated a tragic "accident" that claimed the lives of both Einri's wife and child, intent on driving Einri into the depths of despair which would make him return to the castle and relieve Liam of his solitude.