Chapter 18: It starts with Sorry

Years ago...

Location: Heaven

Time: Years ago

A year and a half had passed since the tragic fire that had lead him to his new future and once more, Gregory reunited with his adopted ghost mother in his dreams (who was also his ex-wife...sort of)

Violet couldn't help but notice the changes in Gregory—his once petite frame had given way to a noticeable growth spurt, marking the passage of time.

"Gregory, my sweet boy, you've grown so much," Violet remarked, a tender smile gracing her lips as she held him close.

Despite the joy of their reunion, Gregory's demeanour carried a tinge of sadness. He hesitated, his voice tinged with uncertainty as he voiced his concerns to his mother.

"Violet, I'm scared..."

"Why?"

"I'm starting to look like Him...I'm scared that when I do, you won't love me anymore..." Gregory's words faltered. The deep-seated worry about resembling William, Violet's abusive ex-husband, was evident in his eyes.

Violet's heart ached for her son's distress and in response, she gently brushed a hand through Gregory's hair, comforting him with her touch. "Gregory, listen to me. You are not Him. Your appearance does not define who you are alright...?"

Tears welled up in Gregory's eyes, and Violet held him tighter, ensuring her words reached deep into his heart. "I will always love you, no matter how tall or how old you become. You are one of my precious children, and nothing will ever change that".

Gregory found solace in his second, adoptive mother's unwavering reassurance, her words were a soothing balm to his fears, offering him the comfort and security he needed in that moment of vulnerability.

Location: Gregory's bedroom - Cabrera Home

Time: 11pm

"Psst, hey!" A voice, ethereal and familiar, pierced the quiet of the room.

"Ah!" Gregory jerked backwards from his study desk, his heart skipping a beat. Before him materialised Fragment, the white-haired version of William who he'd met some time back, his spectral form shimmering like moonlight through mist.

"Hey, Is now a good time for us to go meet with everyone in Heaven? I'm ready." Fragment said, his tone light yet carrying an undercurrent of solemnity.

Gregory sighed, his shoulders slumping slightly. "Fine. Let's get your long-deserved closure over with..."

"You sound like you don't want me to have it," Fragment observed, tilting his head slightly, a ghostly eyebrow raised in query.

"I do, it's just...I wanted to do my own things tonight," Gregory admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You mean mindlessly scroll through social media and post pics of your body or face again?" Fragment's voice was teasing.

"Touche... But ah well, I can do that tomorrow. This is clearly more important for you at least." Gregory conceded with a reluctant grin.

Getting up from his seat, he pulled out the same large sheet of paper that he used for the Christmas party from under his bed, draping the circular emblem with wings over his mattress.

He had told neither Harry nor Michael about Fragment, at least not yet. He needed to be sure if Fragment would prove an ally or remain a neutral party in the complex dynamics of his earthly (and unearthly) interactions.