Chapter 18.5: Basket Case

Decades Ago

Location: Circus Baby's Entertainment and Rental

Time: 8pm

The harsh metallic clang of the scooper reverberated through the dark underground chamber, a grotesque symphony marking the absolute end of a certain employee's nightmarish shift at Circus Baby's Entertainment and Rental.

To the left, a door panel slid open and Elizabeth, her consciousness painfully interwoven with that of Circus Baby and several other animatronics within an amalgamated endoskeleton composed of various electrical wires and metal joints, stared in horror as the scooper retracted.

The man who had been tied to a chair was now motionless, his head slumped grotesquely backwards while his stomach was torn open.

Her heart, or whatever remained of it within the cold confines of her metallic prison, sank as she nudged the body with a steel-toed foot. The face staring back at her was pallid and still, unmistakably human, and not her father's as she and Circus Baby had believed. It was Michael—her brother.

The realisation hit her like a physical blow, and a choked gasp escaped their speakers.

"You...I...We made a mistake," she stammered to her so-called friends, the digital modulation barely concealing her distress, "That's not my Father we just killed... this is... my brother".

Circus Baby's voice, an eerie blend of synthetic cheerfulness and underlying malice, echoed inside her head, "Either way, does it really matter? All of us have a way out now and you hated this guy, didn't you? Admit it, you wanted him dead for what he did to your other brother you oh so lovingly talked about but...you never had the guts to do it! Kind of like your brother right here. The irony".

Panic clawed at Elizabeth as the amalgam pulled out his dripping flesh.

"I hated Mike but...I didn't want him to die. Not like this. No, this isn't right! Send him to a hospital, please. He can still be saved!" Her plea was desperate, her humanity grappling with the robotic detachment she was forced into.

The collective voices of Circus Baby and the other Funtime animatronics—Ballora, Funtime Freddy, Funtime Foxy—responded in unison, a chilling chorus that offered no comfort, "That is not possible. But do not worry, Elizabeth. Remember what we told you about our plan: Your father, or in this case your Brother, will not die once we have made use and left his body."

"How? You still haven't told me."

"That's still a surprise but..." They said in a sing-song voice, "Our secret ingredient will save his life. Trust us".

"Alright, promise me!" Elizabeth's voice crackled with urgency. "Promise me he won't die!"

"We promise." they intoned, their assurance withholding a partial lie. Back then, Elizabeth was unaware that although Mike would live again, his resurrection would be deeply flawed and leave him as something less than human...

With a grim resolve that belied her internal turmoil, the metal amalgam that was Ennard moved towards Michael. Surgical precision masked as mercy, it began to carve out more of his insides and chucked his organs to the floor, repurposing his body as their personal, grotesque skinsuit.

Elizabeth could only shut her eyes and ears as the amalgam discarded its clown mask and uncomfortably slithered inside her brother's body, metal limbs replacing the areas where there were once bones and musculature. Elizabeth's silent scream went unheard in the steel where she dwelled for the vestiges of her humanity were also slowly being stripped away and entangled in the very creations her father had engineered.