Prelude: Memento Mori [Part 2]

Location: Unknown Coordinates

Date and Time: 9:45am

Gregory and Harry drive until they end up stopping the car on a sandy pathway that leads uphill.

"You've arrived at your destination." The GPS announces impassively.

The two men step out of the car and open the boot. Reaching farther back from where the duffel bag was, Gregory takes out a shovel this time and soon, he and Harry make their way up the path until they come to a stop at an uphill slope covered by native desert plants.

"We have to search for a bit but I'm confident we can find it." Gregory pulls out the paper coordinates in his pants pocket and hands it to Harry, "Keep on the lookout for anything like this".

Harry examines the paper, "Ummm Gregory? These are just numbers and a tree! There are a lot of single, non-grouped together trees around here that look alike".

Gregory doesn't answer and analyses the area around them, attempting to retrace William's steps. Before long, an unusually curious pulling sensation washed over him: An invisible force delicately tugging him toward a specific location, yet leaving the decision to head to said area entirely of his own volition.

He chose to follow this intangible guide, allowing his feet to stray from the well-worn track, and ventured onto a far more rugged terrain, the flat ground beneath him transitioning into an angular uphill slope adorned with desert flora.

"Gregory! You're going off track!" Harry calls, hoping his friend wasn't spacing out.

"I know!" His partner yelled, "but I can feel it's in this direction. We're getting close".

"You can feel it?"

"Gut feeling." Gregory shrugs as he feels the invisible pull getting stronger and scans the sights ahead and above, "I'm not sure how to describe it but I feel like..I'm being drawn to...."

The young man's words trail off as he spots something atop the hill in the distance. There was a lone pine tree whose leaves had all but fallen off. Whether it was still alive or not, he did not know.

"There..."

Gregory ascended the hill, a sense of purpose guiding his steps. However, a rustle of footsteps behind him caused him to halt in his tracks.

"Harry, don't follow me." Gregory commanded.

"Huh? Why?"

"Knowing William, he probably booby trapped the area. If I don't come back after 15 minutes or vanish from that tree, don't look for me. Call the cops".

Harry gave him a focused stare, almost challenging him. But Gregory did not turn around to see it.

"Please, trust me alright?"

Harry took a moment to assess his partner's request before conceding to it, choosing to place his faith in him as he often has.

"Alright".

Gregory trudged up the hill, the weight of the shovel feeling like a burden he could hardly bear. He clutched the tool like a sacred cross, each step bringing him closer to the pine tree, as Memories of William once more flooded Gregory's mind from decades ago, this uphill venture to the tree had once been a cherished activity for William and Henry.

Whenever they were free, they'd come to this place to gaze down at the quaint town below, basking in its quaint splendour. Other times, they would chat about mundane activities or William would rant about philosophical thoughts too mature for children their age. But today, neither a magnificent view nor a conversation was what brought Gregory here.