Chapter 8: Closing Time

Years ago...

Location: First Floor, Hub Area - Mega Pizzaplex Plus

Time: 3pm

"Hey, Cassie, what are you reading on your smartphone?"

"Ah! Don't sneak up on me like that," Cassie chided, a playful annoyance in her tone. She was seated on a bench in the corner of the Pizzaplex all by herself as usual. Gregory felt bad she didn't have many friends.

"I see you were reading about the...development of the teenage body?" Gregory inquired, his curiosity piqued.

"How long were you behind me?" Cassie asked, slightly embarrassed.

"A few minutes." Gregory replied with a casual shrug and sipped the apple juice carton in his hands, "So, what's that about?"

Cassie hesitated for a few seconds, then confessed, "Don't laugh. But my body has started to change, and I just...wanted to know more about it from the internet".

Gregory eyed her chest for a few seconds, noticing the obvious new developments there, before snapping them away.

"Ah...I think I know what you're talking about, but I won't say anything. Unless you want me to give you a talk about the birds and the bees!" Gregory teased, lightening the mood.

"And how would you know about that?" Cassie retorted, her eyebrows raised in mock suspicion.

"Hahah, I...just do. I'm not a pervert. Or someone who's actually 100 years old and been through it before, haha".

"You're weird sometimes." Cassie shook her head.

"But that's why we like each other." Gregory concluded her statement, a smile on his face.

She chuckled at that, "Why do you always seem to act older than you look Gregory?"

"I don't know. I think my parents just give me wise advice," Gregory answered, though William's voice in his head accused him of lying. Ignoring the internal commentary, he redirected the conversation back to the topic of Cassie's book.

"So, where did you stop reading?"

"Umm the nutrition section." Cassie shared with a hint of self-consciousness in her voice. "I was thinking about the foods I could eat to make myself look better in the future".

"Don't tell me I influenced you with my presentation about healthy diets in class last week?" Gregory smirked at her, "I mean...I'm glad you're health-conscious but, we're both still kids...we have time to eat whatever we want to eat. You shouldn't feel guilty about–"

As he took a seat next to her, Gregory noticed something. He wasn't at eye level with her like he usually was and he had to tilt his head up slightly to gaze directly into her eyes, "Hey! You had a growth spurt recently".

"Something like that." Cassie admitted, a touch of pride in her voice.

"No wonder you were researching this stuff..." Gregory felt a pang of envy as he gazed at his own body yet to undergo the dramatic changes Cassie was experiencing. Internally, he grumbled about the unfairness of it all, while William's voice in his head reminded him that his time would come one day. He merely had to be patient.

Abruptly changing the topic, Cassie asked, "What are your best memories from childhood, Gregory?"

Gregory's response was sombre. "I don't have many best memories of childhood Cassie. I lived in an orphanage and then alone on the streets for a decade of my life. However, if I had to share one, I'd say that my best memory from that time was when I tried Cotton Candy ice cream for the first time with my mum".