Chapter 1 - Death by a Thousand Cuts

2 weeks later...

Location: Unknown Forest Range, Hurricane Utah

Time: 12am

A full moon hung like a silver coin in the ink-black midnight sky, casting an otherworldly glow upon the dense woods as a cyborg detective in a long grey trench coat and heavy black boots sprinted towards the scene of the crime, navigating through the twisted labyrinth of trees with his cybernetic blue eyes that illuminated the path ahead with a strong glow equivalent to that of a flashlight.

The area pulsated with an eerie symphony—an unsettling orchestra of leaves whispering secrets and the distant laments of wildlife unseen. Each of his footfalls upon the forest floor crinkled and fractured the leaves, adding a haunting cadence to his journey until at last, he arrived at his destination.

Sprawled near the bushes ahead, was the corpse of a teenage girl. The moon's ethereal light revealed odd scars that marred her flesh, their parallel lacerations etched upon her like a macabre tapestry. The black clothing she had worn was torn asunder, the pallor of her pale skin standing in stark contrast to the earthy green which surrounded her

The soft whisper of the winds carried a chill that seemed to seep into his bones, matching the icy grip of dread that had taken hold of his heart.

Detective Everett Larson took a deep breath as he knelt beside the lifeless figure, his gloved fingers delicately tracing the contours of the eerie marks. His artic blue cybernetic eyes zoomed in with precision and scanned the body, capturing every intricate detail and transmitting the information to his semi-mechanical mind.

As the scan progressed, the cyborg's brow furrowed in unwavering focus, a cascade of data streaming across his augmented vision while the cold and synthetic voice of his internal AI Assistant, Bit, narrated the words in his consciousness.

====

[Body Identified]

Name: Millicent Fitzsimmons

Age: 19

Date of Birth: 20 December 2058.

Current occupation: A student at –

====

"Enough, Skip to an analysis of the likely cause of her death..." He ordered Bit in his head coldly.

====

[Noted]

Cause of death: 85% possibility of Animal Attack based on data from scans

====

The digital interface ingrained into his eyes and brain laid out the results before him once again, but Larson knew better. A machine could only deduce so much...

"Bit, Calculate when she died and other ways in which she could have died based on the data gathered recently about her disappearance".

====

Understood. Compiling more data for a deeper analysis.

====

During those five minutes of time, the other cops, the chief of police and the patrol bot who reported the body had finally caught up to him, their flashlights cutting through the obsidian curtain of night.

Briskly picking up pace to be the first to talk to Larson, Chief Gianella Nestor's features were etched with a combination of curiosity and concern as she approached the Cyborg Detective.