Chapter 17: Every Breath you take

The house was unusually quiet, the kind of silence that felt heavier on a day meant for celebration. Harry slouched on the living room couch, his gaze lost to the static dance of the television screen, barely acknowledging the festive decorations that Lottie had put up around the room. Today was his birthday, yet the absence of his parents left a somber shadow over what should have been a joyous occasion.

Lottie, ever attentive, noticed the melancholy that clung to Harry like a second shadow. With a determined whir of her servos, she approached him, holding a small, homemade chocolate cake adorned with a single flickering candle.

"Happy Birthday, Harry!" Lottie's voice chimed, programmed warmth infusing her words. "I know it's not the same without your parents here, but I'm here, and I want to make your day special."

Harry managed a weak smile, his eyes lighting up a fraction. "Thanks, Lottie. I just... miss them, you know? They're never around...."

"I understand," Lottie replied, setting the cake on the coffee table before him. "But they left me instructions to take extra good care of you today. So, I've planned a few surprises. First, your favourite—chocolate cake."

Despite himself, Harry's interest piqued, and he sat up a bit straighter. Lottie continued, "And after cake, we can play any video game you choose, or watch a movie—the choice is yours!"

As Harry blew out the candle, making a wish in the quiet of his heart, Lottie busied herself with fetching a game controller. The room was filled with the electronic beeps and cheerful music of video games, punctuated by Harry's laughter as Lottie, in a rare display of clumsiness programmed to level the playing field, pretended to struggle with the game controls.

For a few hours, the house felt less empty, the laughter a temporary balm to the ache of solitude. Lottie watched over Harry with a semblance of maternal pride. Even in the absence of his parents, she was determined to provide comfort and care, her programming intertwined with a genuine affection that had been nurtured over countless days like these.

As the evening drew to a close, Harry leaned back, a genuine smile spreading across his face. "Thanks, Lottie. For everything. You really made my day better."

"It's what I'm here for, Harry," Lottie responded, her silver eyes glowing softly. "Happy Birthday".

Location: Glamrock Beauty Salon - Mega Pizzaplex Hub

Time: 11:39pm

In the pulsating heart of the Pizzaplex, amidst the laughter and the clatter of arcade machines, Lottie focused intently on her target from the rear of a pillar.

Under Harry's orders, she had been observing Cassie from a distance, watching her glide effortlessly among the Glamrock Beauty Salon's clients. Not far away, Lottie squinted and also zoomed in on JJ and Glamrock Balloon Boy having a small conversation.

"I thought I told you to —"

ZZZT

Their conversation was partially lost as Lottie tapped her head twice, clearing it of the glitch. For some reason she was experiencing a few technical errors when she snuck into the Pizzaplex. She recalled wanting to sneak in here on her own volition from time to time but perhaps these static interferences were one reason why Harry and the building's rules forbade her and other Galateabots from entering the building.

Additionally, something about Cassie didn't sit right with Lottie. Similar to her, she appeared to be constantly on edge, her glances darting to the corners of the room as though expecting someone—or something—to emerge. At times, Cassie's gaze would also sharply turn towards Lottie's direction, a brief, piercing look that seemed too targeted to be mere coincidence. Yet each time, Cassie would quickly resume her cheerful interactions with the children and their parents, as if nothing had happened. It was...odd to say the least. Had Cassie sensed her presence already somehow?