Chapter 3

He starts to lead me back to the bed. He sits against the headboard and softly tugs me towards him. He places me between his strong thighs, my back against his chest. His arms wrap around my waist again. A feeling of safety washes through me. Like nothing can touch or hurt me while I am here. I relax into his touch and I know he feels it as he begins to place small kisses along the bare part of my shoulder and up the side of my neck. I sigh contentedly. "This feels better than how Rachel explained it." I say with a small smile. A low chuckle rumbles from Max's chest and shakes me down to my very core. I yearn to hear that sound again. His hot breath hitting my neck as his mouth now hovers just above my skin. "I'm glad, it means I'm doing my job correctly." He says, moving my long hair from my other shoulder and continuing.

"We should not be doing this." I say, not even trying to pull away at that thought even though I should. "We. Definitely. Should. Not." Max says between kisses, not slowing his assault on my neck and his arms tighten around my waist. "This is very wrong, but it feels right." I continue. "I definitely should not be doing this. You are a princess and I am a common man. I am not worthy of you." He pulls away, as if the realization hit him like a stone wall. His hands don't leave my waist as I turn around to face him. "My title means nothing to me. This is the most amazing I have felt in a long time. You could be shoveling horse manure for all I care. Please just hold me. That is all I ask, and I will not barge down here again." I say to him, sadness filling my eyes as I see the same feeling filling his. "It will be hard to stay away but it is the best for both of us." He says. "No, It is the best for you. It will be extremely difficult knowing you are right here but what is best for me has never been anyone's concern." I say as we slip down under the covers, max blows out the candle that sits on the bedside table.

"I will always be here to hold you because now you have someone who's greatest concern is what is best for you. I don't care for the rules, but I care for you and your safety. If this continues, your safety is in jeopardy. I have never felt like this either but it is best for you to not be connected to me, just a lowly common man who does not deserve your presence." He says, I still manage to find his eyes in the darkness. "Never claim that you are unworthy of me again. I am the only one who can declare who is fit and unfit for me. You are so kind and gentle with me. I am the one who does not deserve to be in your presence." I say to him. I feel him move closer and press another soft kiss against my lips. I feel his tongue at my lips and my lips part as the kiss is deepened. His hands make their way down my back to my waist, pulling me closer. I feel something solid poke my thigh which makes me gasp. Max pulls away and apologizes profusely. "I apologize, that is definitely not where I was going to take this. I meant for that to just be a small kiss but I loose my self control when I'm with you and it confuses me so much because I have never lost my self control before. I apologize." He says. "From what I have been told, it is completely natural so there is nothing to apologize for. I do not know much about that side of a relationship between a husband and wife but I know that it is supposed to be only between husbands and wives." I say to him. "I believe it is supposed to be between a man and a woman who love eachother. Whether they are married or not." He says. I open my mouth to add something but he interrupts me. "This is a conversation for another day, let's get some rest." He says, resting his arms around me as I drift off to sleep.

Soft sunlight makes its way through the window, I shift in the bed groaning slightly as I open my eyes. I jump a little when I find this is not my bedroom but then I remember last night. As if he can hear my thoughts, Max's arm tightens around my waist as he stirs awake behind me. I relish in the fact that I have never felt so well rested. "I should go." I state, remembering that my handmaids will be at my room to wake me up and prepare me for the day soon. "That's probably a good idea." His voice is deep and rumbles over my ear, causing something to snake it's way down my spine and settle in my lower stomach. I have no idea what that feeling means though. "Even though I do not wish to leave but I remember what I said, I will not barge in here again. It is in your best interest." I say, climbing out of his bed. "I have a feeling that my interests have changed because I believe that I will be miserable if I am to never see you again. We can be a secret. No one will find out. Only you and I will know." He says, standing up and walking towards me. "It is wrong. You will be in trouble if we are caught. People will say you seduced me and blame you. You will be punished severely." I say. "I do not wish for you to be punished." I say softly. "Which is why no one will find out. We will find places to see eachother and meet up in secret. No body will ever know about us and it will stay that way. You will be safe in my arms." He says, placing his hand on my cheek. "As wrong as I know this is I know I will be equally as miserable if I am to never to see you again. This will work out, I am sure of it. No one will ever know and you will not be punished. I will make sure of it." I say. Max smiles my favorite smile and leans in closer, softly pressing his lips against mine. He quickly pulls away, muttering something about self control. I bid him good day and make my way back to my room quickly. A smile covering my face for the rest of the day.