Chapter 17

Leah, Jo, Taryn and I watch from the VIP balcony as the cars make their way down the pit lane to start their qualifying laps. We were all invited by formula one for today and for the race tomorrow. I'm excited to watch the guys race tomorrow. We stand under the roof as the rain around us has stopped just in time for Q3. I smile as I watch max make his way around the track. Thankfully they were able to clear sargeants car rather quickly so the red flag wasn't too long. I hear the crowd cheer as he passes them and starts what will most likely be his second last push lap. "I think lando will get pole." Taryn says. "Nah I'm sure Charles will get pole today. It's about time his luck turns." Leah says back. "I think you all are forgetting the man that's currently on a win streak. Max will 100% get pole position." I say back. "Yeah and you definitely aren't saying that because you like him." Jo accuses, rolling her eyes. I smile and look away from the girls, hoping they don't see me blush.

Max and I have been messaging the whole week. It's been so amazing getting to know him better. I did wish him luck this morning before quali and told him I would be watching him. "Oh that's definitely the reason why she wants him to do well. Anna has a crush!" Leah sings the last sentence, teasing me. "Awww, to be honest, they would be so cute together." Taryn adds. "Don't tell Thomas I said this but she's right, you guys would be adorable." Jo says. "Thomas is crazy to think he can keep protecting me from guys. I don't care what he thinks." I say, my older brother insists on chasing away every guy that has come my way but thankfully he has stopped that recently. I know Jo has been talking some sense into him, which I am incredibly thankful for. Unfortunately Stefan hasn't quite got the message yet.

I keep my eyes on the screen as max starts the last sector. The screen shows that he is currently up on his previous time. The cheer from the crowd gets louder and louder as he makes his way around the track. I turn my head to watch as he makes his way around the final banked corner. He crosses the line and he improves on his previous time, in first place. I smile and clap along with the rest of the crowd as the other drivers finish their laps and max is confirmed for pole position. The top three cars pull into the special parking spots. Max pulls up behind the number 1 sign and jumps out of the car before celebrating with his team. Lando and George are there too, chatting with their own teams. My eyes move back to max and his eyes find mine. A small smile appears on his face as he winks at me.

Suddenly it's quiet.
I'm back in the library from many years ago. There is another prince sitting in front of me and he's taking an awful lot. I turn to look out the window and find a very familiar pair of eyes. Max? It can't be. He doesn't look like that but the feeling that fills me is all too familiar. He winks at me and I can feel my cheeks begin to heat. Who is that?

Before my question can be answered I'm back at the Dutch Grand Prix. The roar of the fans filling my ears once again. My eyes are still on max and I can see the concern filling his eyes from here. He is called up for is interview before anything else happens.

~

I pace up and down my bedroom. I must surely be going crazy. Surely. That's the only answer. First the flashes back. Then the short dreams. The dreams slowly got longer and now I'm seeing more than flashes during the day. I must be loosing my mind. Maybe it's time I see a psychologist about this. Or even a neurosurgeon because something funky is going on in my brain and I have no idea what it is. They all seem so real, as if I was actually there. Like they are memories. But they can't be. They definitely aren't my memories. What is going on...

~

I walk into the paddock with Jo as Taryn and Leah are a few steps ahead of us. We head to the pit building where the vip entrance is. "Anna!" I hear a familiar voice call behind me and I turn to find max walking up to me. "We're gonna go up so long, give you guys some space." Jo says. "Thank you." I smile, she leaves with the others just as max gets to me. "Hey, what's up?" I ask him. "Are you ok? You seemed upset after quali yesterday. I'm sorry, I meant to message you and check but I got so busy and ended up falling asleep so quickly so I completely forgot." He says, concern once again filling his eyes. "Yeah I'm ok. I don't know sometimes I just stare off into the distance. It's kinda weird and I have no idea what causes it." I say, lying to him because if I tell him the truth he will think I'm a mad woman and never want to see me again. "Oh ok. That is kind of strange. It is similar to-" "Max!" He's interrupted by someone in Red Bull clothing yelling at him from the entrance to the garage. "I've got to go. Would you like to watch the race from my garage?" He asks. "I would love that." I smile at him and follow him into the garage. He tells someone that I'm his guest before turning to me. "I don't think I'll be able to talk to you again till after the race." He say. "Good luck for the race then. The rain might make it interesting but you've got this." I smile up at him. "That really means a lot. Thank you. I'll see you later." He smiles. "I'll see you on the big screen." I smile back at him and then he disappears into the hustle and bustle of the Red Bull garage.