Chapter 4

I am awoken by Rachel opening my curtains and letting the light stream through the window. I groan and turn away from the bright light, wishing max was here to shield me from the sunlight. "It is time, you will be meeting the first of the princes today so we are here to prepare you to look your best." She says, trying to sound excited. "No, I don't want to. I refuse to marry a prince. Anyone but a Prince." I cry out, extremely unhappy with my situation. "I know, Anna. It is a really bad situation and I really apologize that you have to go through this but unfortunately there is nothing you or I can do, this is the Queen's orders and we shall follow." She says and pulls the covers from my body. "Come on, let's get you ready." She says.

I want to cry the whole morning. Over breakfast, a tear nearly slips onto my food but I brush it away before anyone at the table can notice it. I wish max was here, he would be able to make me feel better. "Anna, you are to wait in the library. Prince Lando of England is to meet with you in an hour. You will remember your manners and you will be gracious. You will not speak of your escape attempts or your wishes to leave this castle. I will not have it. There will be guards there that will report back what is said between you two to me." Mother says. "Yes mother." I sigh.

I straighten out my dress as I pick up a random book from one of the shelves, flipping to a page and hoping it would make me look more educated. I find one or two words I have not seen before and make a mental note to ask Rachel to explain them at a later time. I pace up and down to calm my nerves, focusing on the book in my hands to try to move my thoughts to something that isn't these stupid princes that I have to put up with or thoughts that aren't filled with Max and how his lips feel against mine and how much I miss him. I touch my lips with my fingers, feeling the ghost of his touch across my body. i yearn for him as i have not seen him in four days, my mother preoccupying me with preparations for the prince's arrival. If the palace found out that he had kissed me, I would be a ruined princess and I think my mother would keel over with a heart failure. Maybe that's a good thing, they might banish me from the castle because of it. So either they don't find out and I sneak away to max whenever I wish, or they do and I am banished which would mean I could live with max and we would be husband and wife. The thought of that makes a smile spread across my face, my heart speeds up with excitement.

My happiness is broken by the doors to the library swinging open to reveal, whom I am assuming is Prince Lando of England. He strides into the room, confidence oozing from every pore. "Princess." He says in greeting, bending down to grab my hand and place a kiss on it. Nothing. No fire flowing through my veins. My heart doesn't speed up. It's nothing close to how Max makes me feel but I force a small smile. "Prince Lando, it's lovely to make your acquaintance." I say, using my soft voice, the smile plastered on my face, just how mother drilled it into me for all those years. We sit on the bench which is placed against the tall windows. They are open, blowing a soft and warm breeze through the library. Lando begins talking, mainly about himself, how he is good at riding horses and how well he has learned to fight. Everything that a woman should want, right? Right?

I find myself looking out the window, nodding along to what Lando is saying, pretending to feign an interest in his babbling. I knew princes only want to talk about themselves but this is extreme. My eyes scan the grounds below the library, which is on the second floor. As the servants move around the grounds, everyone with their own job to do. They move with intention and necessity. My eyes catch movement next to the stable, where the carriage repair men work. My heart speeds up at the thought of seeing him, regardless of our distance. Lando continues to speak of only himself and aparently how great he is as a familiar face walks out of the barn. My heart stutters as Max's shirtless torso captures my attention. I have seen it once before but it is spectacular to admire. The muscles rippling as he moves. This feeling is nothing any of the princes could make me feel. My cheeks heat as Max looks up and his eyes find mine. A smile covers his face but he does not dare wave. He throws a wink in my direction which makes me blush.

"Sorry, princess, am I boring you." Lando says which snaps me out of my trance. "No, no you are not." I smile, regardless of the fact that he is indeed boring me. "So tell me about yourself. Do you like to ride horses?' he asks, what is this guys deal with horses? "Yes, J rode many when I was a child, however I no longer have the time to deal with horses as I am the princess." I smile politely. "Ah I see. Well when I was a boy," he starts and I internally roll my eyes. I look out the window again to find max standing under a tree, there is a woman with him. He has put his shirt back on and I'm glad. I can see as he tries to push her away but she does not budge. Her hands land on his shoulders and she pushes herself closer to him. I can see he is uncomfortable as he, again, pushes her back and shakes his head. I can see he does not raise his voice but he is stern. She turns around and walks off, rolling her eyes. I look back to hm to find him looking at me, he motions that he would tell me another time. I must see him tonight because I must know what was said.