Chapter 10

We continue to talk but we are interrupted by a loud voice coming from down the corridor. Max shoots up in the bed. "Something is wrong, we may need to leave." He says,
Climbing out the bed and pulling the clothing up from the floor. He hands me my nightgown and underwear then he dresses himself. I throw the gown on and slip on my underwear. "Here take this, to cover up." Max claims, handing me his jacket. I thank him. The voice is getting louder as it makes its way down the corridor, towards us. Max quickly laces up a pair of his big shoes onto my feet, incase we have to run, though there is no way for me to escape without the owner of the voice seeing me. "The princess is missing!" The voice bellows and Max's head snaps to me. His eyes meeting mine as both fill with worry and fear. "Shit, I knew this was a bad idea. We have to go." He says. "But he will see us." I say, scared. "The exit is the other way, I know where we can go." He says, grabbing my hand in his. He pulls the door open and we sprint down the corridor. My heart races as I hear footsteps behind us. "Stop in the name of the crown!" I hear him yell but we continue. Max pushes a door open and we shoot out into the afternoon sun. We head straight for the Forrest. I have never felt so afraid and yet so alive at the same time. The Forrest thickens around us as we run deeper. The voices and footsteps that were following us begin to fade as max leads me through the tall trees.

Eventually the trees clear and we are met with houses and a street. We stop a few trees back from the open grass, catching our breath as the sky begins to change from a light blue as the sun sets. "This is the way, follow me." Max whispers as we move. We walk for a while, the sky is almost completely rid of color as we duck down an alley way. The alley is dark, only lit by candle lights streaming through the building windows. "Well aren't you two a cute couple." We hear a voice croak. I jump as we see an old woman appear from a darkened doorway. "Why thank you." I say to her with a smile. "Are you married?" She questions. "No we are not." Max answers softly. Looking down at me. "One day we will be, and our souls will be tied together for eternity. We will love each other in every life after this one." I smile up at him. "Aww, ain't that sweet. How would you like it if I married you two real quick?" She says and we both look at her in surprise. "You can do that?" I question. "Well not quite but something that is very close." She says. "It is not like we have anything to loose." Max admits looking to me. "Let's do it. I'm ready to be yours." I say to him and he smiles capturing my lips in his quickly. "Amazing, come come you two love birds. Let's seal your souls together for eternity." She waves us through the doorway.

"Do you two have rings to give to each other?" She questions as we stand in a room that I'm not too sure what to call. There are strange decorations and walls lined with jars of many different things. It smells of damp wood and dust. There are candles littered around the room, shedding light amung the jars. I focus back on max as he pulls his grandfathers ring off of his pinky finger. "I don't have a ring." I say sadly, dropping my arms. My arms hit something solid agains my leg and I gasp, unbuttoning the pocket I reveal the gift I had made for max, a golden chain for him to wear around his neck. "Great, it is jewelry so it will still work." The lady says as we place the pieces of jewelry onto the table. He looks down at me with soft eyes. "You had that made for me?" He asks softly. "Yes, a gift to show my appreciation and love to you. I'm sorry if you don't like it." I say looking down. "I love it, you must not worry about that. I would love anything if it was from you. I must apologize then for this ring, as it is old and tarnished." He says sadly looking down at it. "My love, I would love anything if it was from you." I say, using his words against him. He smiles softly. "I am telling the truth, this ring is from you and it will bind us together. It does not matter what the state of it is, as long as it connects me to you, forever." I say and take his hand in mine as I smile up at him. "I don't deserve you." He admits softly. "Well you have me, and I have you. For the rest of this life and the next." I say to him. "You have me for the rest of time." He smiles, placing his hand on my cheek and kissing my forehead.

"Be quiet, love birds. As moving as that scene was, I need silence in order for the blessings to work." She claims. We look at each other, equally perplexed. She hovers her hands about the jewelry, mumbling something before we could ask any questions. I can not figure out what she is saying. She mumbles for quite some time as her hands wave around. We hear thunder and lightening crack outside the window. I jump closer to max, his warm body calming me. The lady's mumbling grows louder and louder and she suddenly stops as another crack of lightening lights up the room. The boom of thunder shakes through us. "Spectacular. Now take your pieces of jewelry to give to each other." She says, I take the golden chain from the table, holding it in my hands. It feels hot, like fire but I ignore it, focusing my attention back onto Max. "Now do you two have vows you would like to share?" She asks and I nod, looking to find Max nodding along with me.

"Take the jewelry in your left hand and say your vows." He says and I turn to max, his chain in my left hand. "You can go first, my love." He says and I smile at the nickname.