Chapter 15

As we walk down the stairs to my awaiting parents. I can't shake the uneasy feeling following me since I left my room. I'm unsure what it is but it's not comforting. I shake the thoughts from my head as I focus ahead of me. I hug Jo as she was waiting for us with my parents. Her red dress flutters in the slight breeze blowing though the castle. We walk up to the main doors that are still closed. "You guys ready?" My mom asks and we all nod. She nods at the doorman who swings the door open and we walk out. My mom and dad in the middle with Thomas and Jo on one side of them and Stefan and I on their other side. My public relations smile plastered on my face as we wave at the cameras as they click away. I watch as the line of cars travel down the long driveway from the main gate as people arrive. We make our way back into the building as we await to greet the guests.

I'm sure we've been here for almost 45 minutes, greeting the first to arrive as they walk in. Eventually my mom turns to us and lets us go into the ballroom. I'm glad and Jo joins me as we walk into the ballroom together with my brothers behind us. We stop one of the waiters with champagne and grab a glass for ourselves. "Can I just say, I absolutely love your dress. It's stunning." Jo says as she turns to me. "Aww thank you. Your dress is just as gorgeous." I smile at her and we begin to chat and catch up. My brothers appear next to us and Thomas says something into Jo's ear and she nods before they walk off towards the danced floor. The orchestra begins their next song and I recognize it immediately. The beautiful violins pluck away to the beat of Invisible string by Taylor Swift. I smile and turn to find Stefan but he has disappeared. I see movement at the doorway and look up to find a couple of guys walking in. Their suits all different colors and I immediate recognize the only one in a black tux.

I walk up to them with a smile. "Max, hi." I smile and his eyes meet mine, a smile covering his face. "Hi, Anna." He walks over to me, taking my hand in his and placing a soft kiss on the top of my hand, the contact between us sends a spark down my spine. "You look incredible tonight." He smiles and something flutters in my stomach as I feel my face begin to heat up. Someone behind max clears their throat and max spins around. "Guys, this is Anna, Princess of the Netherlands. Anna, these are my friends, Charles, Lando, Alex, Daniel and George." Max introduces us as he points to each guy. "Hi guys, it's really great to meet you." I smile, realizing my hand is still in Max's and I gently tug it away, a feeling of longing zings through me and disappears. I shake the odd and confusing thought from my mind. "The other drivers are still on their way." Max says as we move into the ballroom. "So Anna, what is it like to be Princess?" Lando asks.

~

Lando argues with Charles about how the McLaren is catching up to all of the front guys. "Well enjoy it while it lasts mate." Charles laughs back. "Says you. How's your strategy team doing?" Lando fires back. "Children, let's calm down." Daniel says, stepping in between Lando and Charles. I laugh at Daniel pretending to be the adult here.

Immediately everything in front of me disappears and I'm in the hall all alone. It's silent. No orchestra. No chattering of guests. The walls are covered in candles as they flicker in the breeze. I turn to find a man walking to wards me, dressed in similar royal clothing that my ancestors are dressed in in the paintings that litter the hallways. "Princess Anna,-" his Spanish accent fills my ears but it snaps away and suddenly I'm back with the guys as the music and sound rushes back to my ears. "Anna, are you alright?" I hear Max's concern from next to me.

I look to him, finding concern covering his face. "Please excuse me." I say with a small smile to the guys before almost running out of the ballroom. I need some fresh air. What is going on? What is this? Am I going crazy? I've heard stories of one princess who went crazy. Is this the same thing? Her name was also Anna, but that's all I know. Mom refused to explain her story to me.

I rush out one of the doors to the back garden. Taking deep breaths of the fresh and cool night air. The lights from the castle light up the garden as well as the car garage that sits a few meters away from me. Eventually my mind slows down, it stops racing and trying to answer all of the questions that circle my mind. I continue to breathe slowly. Calming and relaxing myself. A few moments later I hear footsteps behind me. I turn to find max walking down the stairs, concern filling his eyes. "Hey," he says softly "are you ok?" He questions as he reaches my side. "Yeah, I'm ok. Just needed some air." I say to him with a small smile. "Are you sure?" He asks, placing his hand on my upper arm. The contact sends a feeling down my spine, again. His eyes jump to where his hand meets my arm, almost as if he feels the same thing. "Yeah it's ok. You don't have to worry about me." I say to him, taking a step closer to him. Our bodies almost touching. Our faces are so close. He lifts his hand to the side of my face, tucking a loose strand of my hair behind my ear. His hand rests on my cheek, his thumb softly stroking up and down along my face. I lean into his hand with a soft smile. For some reason I'm never nervous around him. I feel calm. I've never felt like this around anyone else. A small smile covers his face and I watch as he slowly leans towards me.

He is so close but then his head snaps up, in the direction of the garage. He stills. "Max." I question, concern speeding up my heart rate. Two seconds go by and then he shakes his head, blinking away as he rubs the back of his neck. "Is everything alright?" I ask.