Switch Up

Sky froze seeing Pai. Pai didn't even look up at him and just screamed " GET LOST!" Sky took a step backward because he was a bit taken aback by what was happening till he spoke up. "Do you really want me to leave?" Pai raised his head and saw Sky. In a more softer tone he said " Yes I do. I'm sorry Sky but I really want to be left alone." Sky didn't push and just left the room. Pai wasn't willing to talk and he wasn't gonna to force him and just said " I won't force you, when you're ready I'll be at home, forgive me but I'll be going home on time today."
" Get home safe."
"Okay I will."  It was still afternoon so he picked up one or two things and left. On reaching the door, Taytie calls
"Go to Arti Hall." And hangs up.
Sky gets a car and leaves the building. He gets to Arti's hall. Payu was there. In the last seven years, they were never paired up together for anything. Sky called back. " Why am I getting psired up with Payu?"
" This mission is really complicated, the person involved is a Minister's son. You can do it."  Sky walked up to where Payu was and tapped him. They both gave each other a knowing look and walked inside. At missions, they never talk but there was a reason they were the best of the best. Sky attacked from above and Payu from below. The building was large and the people inside were suspiciously much. In less than a hour however, they retrieved the victim successfully and brought him out. The police was not called, didn't even bother to. They took him back to his family. Sky and Payu's faces were covered so it was a difficult task to recognize who they were. They didn't take it off for a second and dropped the kid off. Instantly they got sent money. Payu stared at Sky " I'll treat you."
"No thanks, I'm good, I need to go home even." They had left the building so no one could see them. They took off their masks " What's wrong?"
"Nothing."
"You do know you're avoiding me."
" Yes I know. There's nothing to talk about. I'm dealing with something, it doesn't involve you."
" Sky stop!" Sky who was walking like he was being chased halted.
"What?"
"We've been friends for years. I know you like the back of my hand, if something is bothering you I could tell from your voice. This is the first time that I am the one making you unhappy and I don't know what to do because it has never happened before. I value our friendship so much."
"I want to ask you something and I want the honest truth. Don't twist it, don't sugarcoat it or I'll be really pissed."
" Go on I'm all ears."  All this time they were talking, Sky did not face Payu once. This time he did
"Has it every occured to you that I might like you?"
" You don't like me, you love me that's why you protect me isn't it?" Payu let out a smile. Sky wasn't smiling so he continued." Fine, I know, I know you liked me since five years ago when I got into that accident. I pretended to sleep and heard your conversation with Gun so I knew." Sky looked at him stunned " This whole time you had known... And...."
" I didn't want to ruin our friendship. We've gone through everything together. We are too much alike. If we dated the relationship won't even last." Payu was laughing, Sky wasn't. He felt the weight of stupidity flood in. He wasn't one to be weak in the knees but he was genuinely speechless. Payu knew. If the ground could open and swallow him now, he would have liked it. He took his hand off Payu's. Looked him eyeball to eyeball which flustered Payu a bit " you didn't think it wise to tell me. To turn me down in a way that won't be so painful? I won't mind. But knowing this for so long and keeping it, you just...uhhhhhhh. For now, our friendship is on time out."
" Sky, it's just a feeling, you're supposed not to feel anything are you? Trash it. I'll talk to you tomorrow." Sky's eyes flickered a bit. He talked about his feelings like it was nothing
"And besides in this line of work, love makes us weak."  Sky took this as his cue to leave and he did. Entered a car and left. Payu went the other way. Sky stopped by a mall and bought alcohol, a lot of it and headed home. He just lay in the dark at home. There was so much unpacking to do so he called Gun and told him everything. Gun hung up. He went straight to Payu's house and saw him drowning himself in alcohol too. They all had keys to each other's apartment so it was easy
Gun sat looking at him " You have never hurt Sky before, what changed?"
" Nong, I think its better this way."
"Is it? Because both of you are going through it. You're not one to run away. It's best you would have told him that you didn't love him than what you did."
" Nong, I can't give him the life he wants. We are both from trauma, who heals who? I can't do that to him. We are both too broken for repair. Sky has seen my worst, I have seen his. He deserves the best, and that is definitely not me."
"But you do know he likes you so did you tell him this?"
"No, I could never. Right from the camp Gun, I knew he would be my ride or die, so are you. Sky deserves the sun, he deserves someone to shake up his world and bring him out. If it was me, I'll only remind him of the pain he's supposed to forget."  Gun sat down beside a crying Payu and hugged him. " I have to still be there for Sky, so I'll leave you for now. You guys better settle this fast."
" Thanks Gun."
"You're welcome P'Boss."
Gun left him alone. Payu felt his heart shred. It was more than. The trauma, far worse and Sky had seen it all. They both never talked about it but back in camp after the man was killed. Payu had lots of spells in his sleep. One night Sky tried sleeping beside him to calm him down. They all normally slept with a knife. Payu had his spell again he stood up and was screaming. Sky got up too and tried to talk to him but he stabbed Sky who fell to the ground holding onto him so he won't hurt himself further. When he came to, Sky was taken away to the hospital and they narrated what had happened. He had felt like a monster. He avoided Sky when he recovered and their relationship had to be mended with the Gun glue. Sky was not bitter. They argued bitterly about it till Payu forgave himself.

Rain returned home, he had messed up big time and he accepted that he did. He called Payu there was no answer. He sent several messages but they were not even read. His hand became cold. He didn't want to lose Payu. He just remembered everything that happened earlier and he felt distraught. He scattered his hair and looked disheveled. There was so much unpacking to do.

Pai didn't leave the office, just stayed there on the floor in the dark. His legs couldn't carry him at all and he couldn't leave. His father returned and went straight to his son's office. No explanation was needed. He went on his knees and hugged him. There was only one explanation for this and he knew what it was.