Chapter 18 ~ leverage ~

Chit inserted the drive and everyone waited, several hours passed by and they were all beginning to think that the guy who called himself Chai Son had indeed scammed Richie until just after 2.45pm, Richie got a call.

"remember what I told you" Kiri ordered Richie.

Richie picked up the call,

"hello" he said.

"so you got the job done, finally!" the caller said.

"I told you I would, so what about my money?" Richie asked.

"I'll text you the location and you'll receive a key by courier"

"I won't get to meet you?" Richie asked.

"why, did you fall in love with my fucking voice or something? Chai Son said.

"I just thought ... forget it, I just want the money you promised me" Richie answered.

"and you'll get it, it's been a pleasure working with you Richie" Chai laughed.

"whatever man, just send me what you promised"

"have a nice life then" the man ended the call.

"did we manage to trace it?" Kiri asked his security.

"no boss, it was a burner phone like before"

"what did he say Richie?" Kiri asked.

"he's going to text me a location and a key by courier, I guess it will come to my apartment so I'd better go there" Richie answered.

"how does he know where you live?" Kiri asked.

"I'm not sure, he knew when I was ... shiyaa, he might have been having me tailed?"

"or he might be tailing you himself" Kiri supplied.

Suddenly Richie received a text message with the location of the drop off and Kiri took the phone before giving the address to his men.

"go there and await further instructions, you have a pretty good idea who to look for and dress down, don't be conspicuous" Kiri said.

"Richie, you stay here until the usual time you get off work, if you leave now it will look bad" Kiri said picking up his own cell phone and making a call ...

"Kiri here, yes, yes, can you get in touch with xxxx hospital and have Mrs Wachittisam moved to a private room, pay for one month's treatment, yes, ok, let me know when it's done" Kiri said before ending the call.

"what are you doing?" Richie demanded.

"buying your loyalty, you get to keep your job and as long as you behave I will keep paying the hospital fees, in the meantime we'll work out a repayment plan" Kiri said.

Richie swallowed to try and ease the pain in his throat, his eyes pooling with unshed tears,

"I ... don't know how to thank you" Richie managed to say.

"if you want to thank me, tell me why you hate the wealthy so much" Kiri said.

"I can't" Richie said looking down.

"it's obviously not envy, there's something deeper than that ... everyone, can you give us some privacy please" Kiri said and Chit, Phil, Kan and the rest of the security left the lounge"

"you trust me right?" Kiri asked Richie.

"I have no reason to trust anyone, it's just me and my mother, she's the only person I trust" Richie replied.