2 Exhausted

Larissa POV

Exhausted, I now lay in bed in the hospital and looked closely at the little girl in my arms. I absorbed every detail since the moment I saw her for the first time. It was hard to believe that I could really look at her now, hold her, when just a few hours ago she was in my belly kicking me hard.

I couldn't get enough of the sweet noises my little one was making as she stretched or yawned. She was probably as tired as I was. Smiling, I stroked her tiny hand when suddenly there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," I said softly.

The door opened slowly and the man who had helped my daughter into the world stuck his head in.

"Hey..." I said softly.

"Hi Larissa. I brought your car in and figured you probably needed your suitcase." he replied as he indeed walked in with my suitcase in hand.

He set it aside and then placed my car keys on the table next to the bed. He then awkwardly buried his hands in the pockets of his sweatpants.

"Oh thank you so much. You are a true hero and I don't know how I can ever thank you. Sorry... I don't even know your name..." I then said.

"It's really no big deal. I just hope you and the baby are okay. And my name is Roman." he replied.

"Well it's nice to meet you, Roman. And we are doing well. Aren't we my darling?" said I, and then glanced at the baby.

"Does she have a name yet?" asked the man named Roman.

"Yes, she does... This is Clementine. Clementine, say hello to Roman." I replied.

"Hi little Clem... You were in a hurry, huh?" he said and then took her foot in his hand.

I couldn't believe how tiny it looked when he held it like that.

"Oh yeah, she was, 3 weeks early. But the doctors say she is as perfect as she looks. My mom was at work when I called to tell her it was going to start. And since she has a long drive.... But that's not important. Thanks to you, everything turned out fine. I'll get the sweatshirt cleaned, of course," I replied.

"And where was the little one's father? Sorry... It's none of my business, of course. I was just worried." he said.

And that was a perfectly reasonable question. The doctors and nurses had asked that question, too.

"It's a long story... But the short version is that he doesn't want her in his life. That's why we'll be fine on our own. Mommy is always there for you my darling." I replied as tears were already welling up in my eyes again.

"Sorry... I didn't mean to upset you. But I can assure you that such a man does not deserve you and the little one. You're probably better off without him," Roman said and then put his hand on mine.

I looked up at him. I looked into those deep, chocolate-colored eyes. They held so much understanding and a calmness. As if all was suddenly right in the world.

"It's just... I'm extremely anxious. I don't want to mess this up. We all know how hard it is as a single parent. I want to do justice to Clementine and I want her to have everything she needs, but that also means I'll be leaving her alone in daycare a lot.

Sorry... I don't know you at all. There was no need to dump all that on you. Anyway... thanks again for the help today," I replied until I realized what I was babbling about in front of this stranger.

"It's alright. Don't worry so much... Everything will be fine." Roman then said.

"Um... Could you maybe hold her? I have to go to the bathroom." I replied.

"Oh... Um okay." he said a little uncertainly, but then took Clementine into his strong arms.

As he looked at her, an adorable smile formed on his lips. The skin around his eyes wrinkled and dimples appeared on his cheeks. I guess that was the effect a baby had on so many people....  How I wished at that moment that it was her father who looked at her so lovingly.