7 The reality

Larissa POV

I tried to calm myself down at the same time as I tried to calm my daughter. But she kept on crying. I had never seen her like this before and I never wanted to again. Poor little thing. How could such a sweet, pure creature be related to such a cold and selfish man? I just couldn't understand it.

I had hoped so much that Brad might change his mind as soon as he saw her. And I knew his parents hoped the same. After all, they were more than disappointed in their son. His mother told me that they had tried to influence him more than once. Obviously without success.

"Shhh... Everything is fine my darling. Mommy's here. And I'm so sorry. I promise you'll never have to see that bad man again. We'll work it out on our own." I said softly to her as I cradled her in my arms.

A few minutes later, I saw Roman come out of the house again and wondered what he had been doing in there for so long. I just wanted to go home. My head was already pounding.

"Hey... Let's get out of here." he said as he walked towards us and slowly rubbed my upper arms.

Clementine looked up at him and it didn't take long for her tears to subside. Something about his presence immediately calmed her. I was very relieved. None of this could be good for her.

Roman carefully took Clem out of my arms and put her back in the baby carrier. Then he wiped the tears from her cheeks while looking at her with concern. But it wasn't long before a small smile appeared on his face.

Then, without saying a word, he pulled me into his arms and hugged me tightly. I wrapped my arms around him while I rested my face against his chest. I took a deep breath and tried to relax. And slowly but surely I succeeded as he stroked my back.

"Better?" he asked after a while.

"Yes... Let's leave this place," I replied as I detached myself from him.

Without saying another word, we got into the car and Roman drove back to his house. Clem slept through the whole journey and we didn't say anything either. My thoughts were in the present and in the future at the same time. It took a lot not to start crying again.

"Listen, Larissa... What do you think about staying here? You're pretty upset and I think it would be better if you weren't alone right now," Roman said as I loaded Clementine into my car and put my handbag and diaper bag next to her.

"I'd love to, but you have company coming in less than two hours. And mom and dad are expecting us later." I replied as I turned to face him.

"I completely forgot about that..." he admitted quietly.

The truth was... that I would have loved to stay. By just being himself, he had helped me and my daughter so much. More than he perhaps even realized.

When I looked into his warm eyes, I once again forgot everything around me. Roman looked back at me as he reached for my hand at the same time. His fingers closed around mine.

"Will you call me if you or Clem need anything? Anything at all..." he wanted to know.

I nodded and swallowed.

Slowly, he leaned forward and I couldn't help but stretch up towards him. The air around us crackled with energy as we got closer and closer. I could feel his hot breath on my face. Our lips were very close to meeting. But suddenly the baby started to cry and pulled me back into the moment. The reality...

I swallowed and took a step back. Blinking, I checked on Clem only to find that she had fallen asleep again.

"We should get going. See you around, boss. Merry Christmas." I said quickly and turned away, knowing my cheeks were glowing hot and red.

"Merry Christmas, Larissa." he replied softly before placing a hand on my neck.

He quickly pressed a kiss to my forehead. Then he took a few steps back so that I could get into my car. In a haze, I started the engine and made my way home.