26 One year

Larissa POV

"Can you promise me that you didn't overdo it?" I asked Roman as we all set off together to head to the location where we would be celebrating Clementine's birthday with the whole family.

"Um... No I don't think so..." he said with a laugh as he put Clem in her car seat and buckled her in.

I opened the trunk to load a few extra things and saw that it was already pretty full. This surprised me since she had already unwrapped our presents this morning.

"Ro! What have you done? That... Oh my goodness... How much did you buy?" I asked, laughing as I struggled to find room for my bag.

"Oh, they're not all mine. It's also my parents' and my sisters'. They sent them to us because it was easier. But Clem should unpack them together with everyone," he replied.

"But that means you snuck a few in anyway, right?" I asked.

"Maybe... But I have something for you too." he then said.

"What? But why?" I wanted to know.

"Because my darling, you did the work and as a mom, you deserve presents too." he replied as he pulled me into his arms and gave me a kiss on the forehead.

"That really wasn't necessary," I said sheepishly.

"Oh yes, and do you know why?" he asked.

I shook my head as I looked up at him.

"Because a year ago today, you and that little girl came into my life and turned it completely upside down. In the best way. And I can't tell you how grateful I am for that." he replied.

"If anyone is grateful, it's me. I thank God every day that I am allowed to love you," I said.

"I love you too, baby girl," Ro replied.

He leaned down and gave me a loving kiss before it was time for us to leave. We were already a little late. I was sure the guests were already waiting for the most important person of the day.

"Mama mam mamaa...!" Clem babbled happily as we drove.

"Yes, baby. Are you excited for your party, my darling?" I asked her as I looked in the rearview mirror.

She grinned at me and showed me her tiny teeth. Even if they didn't feel tiny when she bit me playfully. In my nose, for example. Or when she had the chance to bite Roman's toe.

"Do you have any idea what you want to do with the money Brad left you?" Roman wanted to know.

"No... It still feels bad, but I think... I don't know... I guess it would be best to put it in a college fund for Clem. Or if she wants a car later.... It just doesn't feel right to take the money." I replied with a sigh.

"I know what you mean, but to be fair...you're far too nice. You deserve the money after everything you went through during your pregnancy alone. He wanted you to have the money so you have no reason to feel bad," he said.

"You say that so easily. But I know you're right. I guess I'll know when the perfect situation arises," I said.

"Oh, believe me, you will. Probably sooner rather than later." Ro replied and took my hand to press a kiss on it.

*****

"Oh look at that, Clem! Your aunties want to torture Daddy a bit with all the instruments and noisy toys." I laughed as I held my little one on my lap and helped her unwrap her many presents.

"You can never start early enough. Who knows... Maybe she'll be a famous musician one day." Summer said, holding Clementine's foot in her hand.

"Maybe or maybe she'll follow in my footsteps one day. I already know she has a lot of talent. Right, Mini Miss? You're going to be just like your Dada." he said to his daughter as he took her in his arms.

Clem immediately wrapped her short arms around his neck and cuddled up to him. Roman rubbed her back lovingly. She was slowly getting tired.

"Da... Dada..." Clem then suddenly said, causing Roman's eyes to almost pop out.

"What did you say, Clem?" he asked her, perplexed, as if he couldn't believe his ears.

"Dada!" the little girl repeated, grinning at him.

I think it was safe to say that Roman had never been prouder. Finally, our daughter had said Dada to him. Something he had been waiting for more or less patiently for a year.

And I was too. When I looked at my two, I couldn't believe that it had already been a whole year since I had met him. And all because of a flat tire. Fate sometimes takes strange paths, but I am glad that it led me to this one special man.