16 Puffy and red

Larissa POV

It was already late at night when the baby's crying woke me up from the restless sleep I was having. My eyes were stinging from all the tears I had shed in the last few hours. I was sure my face would be swollen for days to come.

I sighed as I got out of bed and checked on Clem. She was really the only thing holding me together right now. Even though I would have loved to fall completely apart and wallow in my misery, I had to be strong for my little girl.

With her in my arms, I sat down and started to breastfeed her. I didn't take my eyes off her for a second, but at the same time I saw all the moments we had spent with Roman in my mind's eye.

Just the thought of him was like a stab in the heart. I guess there was a reason why it hurt so much. And that was because I just didn't expect something like this from him. I had never thought of him as a person who made decisions over someone else's head. At least not such life-changing ones.

"Mommy really doesn't know what to do... Any advice, Mini Miss?" I asked my daughter as she looked at me with her big eyes.

If only it were that easy. If only she could tell me her thoughts.... Maybe it also hurt so much because it was the first time I'd felt so comfortable with someone since Brad, but I still got punched in the stomach all over again. My trust was fragile as it was.

After Clem was full, I changed her diaper before putting her back in her crib. I held on to it and looked at her for a while. Then I went into the bathroom to wash my hands. But as I was about to go back to bed, I heard something at the door.

Of course I immediately went to see what was going on. I slowly opened the door and stuck my head out. At first I didn't see anything, but then I looked down when I heard a soft snoring sound.

I stepped out and knelt down next to him. His eyes were puffy and red as well while he sat next to my door.

"Roman? Come on... Wake up," I said gently.

I wanted to touch his cheek... caress it, but I hesitated. When his eyes finally opened, I had to swallow.

"Hey..." he said softly and that one word alone was almost enough to crack me.

"You should go home. It's so cold... Aren't you freezing?" I wanted to know.

"I'm not leaving here. I can't." he replied.

"You can't stay here forever..." I whispered as I fought the tears again.

"I need to know if there's at least a chance you'll forgive me..." he said.

"I need time for that... You have to be patient and give me time..." I replied.

"But..." he began hesitantly.

Sighing, I sat down next to him on the cold floor. I hesitated at first but then I wrapped my arm around his before leaning my head against his shoulder. It was easier to concentrate when I couldn't see his face. Besides, it worried me how cold he felt.

"You wanted to know if I loved you, right? Yes... Yes, I do love you. And that's why I need time to think about us. What you did... is... you've... you've shaken my trust in you. Even though I have big trust issues anyway. That's why I'm asking you to give me time... please," I said.

"I will... I promise you, baby girl. But one more thing... I won't accept your resignation... You still have this job if you want it and whenever you want it... I'll give you as much time as you need... But please... please always let me know how the two of you are doing and if you need anything..." Roman replied.

"I promise." I said gently.

He pressed a kiss to the top of my head and stayed there for a while. Neither of us said another word. The darkness around us helped, but eventually the time had come for us to part. At least for a while.

*****

Roman POV

After two exhausting weeks on the road, I was glad to finally be back home. Even though it felt pretty empty without Larissa and Clem.

I had hoped that she would only need a few days, but those few days quickly turned into a few weeks. And then I had to go out of town for almost two weeks. And so it happened that I hadn't seen them for a month now. That was definitely the longest month of my life. Even though Larissa sent me regular updates about herself and the baby.

But I was starting to get a bad feeling about the whole thing. It was all taking too long. Nevertheless, I really tried to remain patient with everything I had. After all, this whole mess was my fault alone.

I was just about to get a bottle of water from the fridge when the doorbell rang.

I quickly closed the fridge again and went to the door to see who it was. And it was safe to say that I have never been more surprised and at the same time relieved to see that face.

"Oh thank God." I breathed as I quickly pulled her into my arms.

"Hi Ro... Um... can we maybe talk?" Larissa asked as she put her arms around my neck.