6 Birth certificate

Roman POV

Breathing heavily, I stepped off the pec deck to set the next level on the weights as the door to my gym opened. Larissa came in and as always had Mini Miss Clem with her. She looked quite nervous. I immediately wondered why.

"Hi. I just wanted to let you know that the guest room is ready. I've also set out drinks and snacks. So you don't have to worry about anything. I've confirmed the bookings for the restaurant. If you don't mind, I'd like to call it a day." she said as she came closer.

"Thank you so much. Of course it's okay. You've earned it. Do you want to do some last minute Christmas shopping?" I asked as I reached for a towel to wipe the sweat off my face.

"You can't say that. I've decided to go to my ex today. Maybe I can convince him to sign the birth certificate after all. Besides, it's time for him to meet Clementine," she replied.

"Oh boy... Do you really think that's a good idea? I mean, how do you know he's even home? I thought he ignored you until now." I said.

"That's right, he still does. But his mom told me that he's off work for the rest of the year and that's why he'll be home. And to be honest, I just want to get it over with. This thing hangs over me like a dark cloud. If he can't bring himself to do it, then... I don't know. My father thinks I should sue him for child support for Clem. But we all know how expensive lawyers and court hearings are. I can't afford that,' Larissa replied, looking at her daughter.

She sighed deeply and I could tell that she was on the verge of tears again. This whole thing was understandably very upsetting for her.

"Would you like me to come with you? Just in case things get ugly or he says things he shouldn't," I suggested.

"Would you do that? That would be wonderful! But we don't want to stop you from doing other things." she said, somewhat relieved.

"I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't want to. I'm going to have a quick shower and then we'll go there together." I replied and then rubbed her back reassuringly.

"Thanks boss." said Larissa.

"Ah! What was that?" I asked, giving her a stern look.

"Sorry... Thank you, Roman. Come with me, my darling. Let's get you something to eat while Uncle Roman gets ready." she replied before she and Clem walked back over to the house.

*****

On the way to that scum's house, I kept seeing in the rearview mirror how nervous and fidgety Larissa was. She held Clem's tiny hand while looking at her. It almost seemed like she was asking her daughter to give her the strength she needed.

"We're here." I said after a while as I parked the car.

"Okay... Let's do this..." she breathed and left the car.

I helped her take the baby out of the car before she made her way to the door. Slowly, I followed her a few steps behind. Hopefully the idiot wouldn't do anything stupid. I already felt like smashing him to the ground. For how badly he had treated that amazing woman and for ignoring his own flesh and blood.

Larissa rang the doorbell. Her shoulders rose and fell significantly as she tried to take a deep breath. It didn't take long for the door to open. A man about my age came out and looked at her with such disgust that he almost earned himself a punch in the face.

"What are you doing here?" he asked, annoyed.

"I want to introduce you to our daughter," Larissa replied calmly.

"You mean your daughter. I don't think she's mine. I've told you that time and time again. I don't want children in my life. Who knows where you've been sneaking around," he ranted.

"I'm not discussing that with you again. You know she's yours, Brad! You're just too much of a coward to admit it. You don't want us in your life, I get that. All I want is for Clementine to know who her father is. I want you to take your share of the responsibility." Larissa said as she followed him into the house with the baby in the baby carrier.

"Don't hold your breath. I'm not going to pay for a child I never wanted. You could have prevented it. But you didn't. So now you have to live with the consequences. And who the hell is that?" he asked when his eyes fell on me.

I crossed my arms over my chest and tried to pull myself together. I was on the verge of losing it.

"That's my new boss. Not that it's any of your business. Just sign and pay... That's all I ask. You owe us at least that!" she said.

He still didn't give Larissa or Clem a glance. He just stared into the corner of the room with his hands shoved deep into his pockets.

"You can wait a long time for that. Find another father for the child. Now get out!" he replied, even shouting the last part.

The baby began to cry. Just like her mommy. Larissa sniffled softly before making her way out.

"I'll be right with you. Give me that." I said to her and pulled the important paper out of her bag.

"Get out! That goes for you too!" he hissed at me.

"Now, we'll make this simple. And I won't even begin to tell you what a fuck-up of a... what a pathetic excuse for a man you are. You don't deserve to have Larissa or Clementine in your life. But at least you can do the right, decent thing for once. Sign the birth certificate and pay child support. Be a fucking man. You don't have to be a father, but you still have a responsibility." I said in a voice that was more than just barely controlled.

"Well, well, well... Someone seems to be more than just a boss. If it's that important to you. You sign the stupid certificate." he replied with a smug grin.