12 Wow

Larissa POV

With my baby in my arms, I waited in the arrivals hall of the airport for Roman to appear. His flight had landed on time, so it couldn't really be long before he would be with us. I stood a little more to the side to avoid most people. I didn't want either me or Clem or even both of us to catch a cold from one of the sneezing and coughing people here.

"Where's Uncle Roman, huh? Are you looking forward to seeing him?" I asked Clementine as I rocked her back and forth.

Time passed and little by little the first travelers appeared with their luggage. I stood on tiptoe to catch a glimpse of Roman. But as I wasn't the tallest, there wasn't much point.

"Hey, there you are!" I said happily when he suddenly appeared in front of us. 

Roman had a big grin on his face when he saw us and, as always, the baby was very happy to see him. She gurgled and squealed as soon as she saw him.

"Hi you beautiful girls. It's great to see you." he said and then gave me a kiss to say hello.

"I've missed you, baby girl." Roman then added.

"We missed you too. Let's get the boss home." I replied as he took Clem from my arms to greet her properly too.

"Oh hello Mini Miss! God, such a pretty angel. Have you grown again? I could swear you're taller than you were three days ago." he said to her after giving her a kiss on the forehead.

Clementine put her hand on his mouth and started to laugh as he kissed her tiny fingers. Then he gave her back to me before pulling his suitcase behind him.

With one arm around my waist, we made our way to the car. Every now and then he squeezed my hip lovingly. Almost as if he wanted to make sure I was still there.

"Are you still up for a date tonight?" he asked as we drove to his house.

"Oh you can count on it. I told the babysitter to be at my place at 6. I'm hoping my boss will let me leave a little earlier today so I can get ready for our date," I said.

"I know your boss pretty well and I'm sure I can convince him that you have nothing more to do today." he laughed.

We spent a few more hours at Roman's house until it was time to take my little one home. I found it harder each time I drove home, but today I knew that I would see him again soon. That made it easier for me. I was also looking forward to getting dressed up again. It had been a while since I had done that.

*****

A few hours later, I paced nervously in my living room while I tried to get Clem to go to sleep. But I couldn't, probably because she could sense how tense I was suddenly.

Once again, I tapped a number into the phone in the hope of finally getting lucky. But that spark went out almost immediately when the call went straight to voicemail.

And then the doorbell rang. I had completely lost track of time. I sighed deeply as we walked to the door and opened it.

"Hi, baby girl. Oh... What's going on? You haven't changed yet?" Roman asked worriedly when he saw my outfit.

I was still wearing sweatpants, my makeup wasn't done and I had curlers in my hair. This really wasn't the way he should see me today. It was silly, I knew that... but this look really wasn't attractive.

And then he looked so damn good in his tight dark blue jeans and jacket over his white V-neck shirt.

"Oh Ro... I'm so sorry.... The babysitter has canceled at short notice and I've been desperately trying to get someone else for an hour. But no one is available. I guess we can't go out tonight." I replied desperately, almost on the verge of tears.