Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

Cassie watched as John accelerated, shoving a pile of snow with his plow that scraped the ground loudly. It was the second week of February now, and a blizzard had swept through, leaving everything blistery and white. There were still flakes falling; Cassie was surprised the human workers had decided to take her out in this. But, John had gone ahead of her, making sure the roads were clear.

They were stopped at one of the larger properties now, a whole street lined with brick houses and a dead end. Cassie had simply come here to transport some extra workers and snow shovels. The sound of John's plow scraping again pulled her from her thoughts. He looked weary as he swept by her again, engine sweltering with exhaustion. Cassie knew he didn't sleep much; he often disappeared at night. He meets all kinds of different girls, she thought resentfully. Part of her knew she didn't like the thought of it because was bitter that she couldn't do the same with males. I'd love to be able to detach from Mike, and try a few different guys out. But I just don't see myself ever caring for anyone else.

And, nothing had happened since her lie to Michael, so she had begun to lose hope of ever having him. Casey is going to be the only one who can help me. She needs to ruin her relationship for me, and that's not gonna happen.

Again, John rolled by her; this time, though, his plow was up off the ground, and he finally stopped near her. "You want a turn with the plow?" he teased, dropping the heavy thing to the ground.

"You wish." She shifted her wheels, tensing her springs against the cold. "Are you finished here?"

"Yeah." He shuffled his big wheels, making his large dump bed shudder loudly. "We just have to wait for the workers to be done shoveling the sidewalks now. And hopefully, I can cool down while we're sitting here."

"Cool down?" Cassie snorted. "I'm freezing!" She could feel waves of warmth rolling off John's engine though, the only comfort from the chilly breeze.

"George will plow until his engine seizes up, basically," John chuckled. "He has a drive."

He always seemed a bit lazy to me. But he does like plowing.

"Mike's all right at it," John continued. "He keeps Zone 2 and Zone 3 nice and cleared out."

I don't want to talk about him!

"But your sister; going to street races." He had quickly changed the subject. "I always thought she was Miss Perfect. Mike wasn't too happy about that." He snorted. "I told him not to get married! He didn't take my advice-" John broke off his words, giving Cassie an apologetic look. "I don't mean-"

"It's fine." I don't care that she's my sister. "I agree; they got married too young."

"Marriage is dumb," John snorted. "My mom wasn't married to my dad. I never saw him, but it's whatever. I think he was a real pile of crap anyways. And if he was married to my mom, that would have tied them together. That pile of crap would have been a part of my life, and I'm glad that didn't happen. That's why I don't believe in marriage."

But it's not always bad. "But what about my parents?" Cassie asked.

"Your mom died on him." His headlights flickered. "Sorry, kid. I didn't mean it like that... it just never seems to go well."

Cassie bounced her springs. Because everyone makes dumb decisions. But I wouldn't be. I've liked Mike since I was old enough to like someone! That still hasn't changed. We'd make a great couple.

The drivers finished their shoveling within the next half hour, and drove John and Cassie back to the main facility, where they got in their personal cars and left. The work day was over, at least, but it was only a Tuesday. Surely, more garage scrubbing awaited her later on in the week, which meant more time next to Michael or Bryan. That could be a good or bad thing.