Chapter 23

CHAPTER 23

"What everyone says about me is wrong," Jerry growled. The white glow of his thin headlights flickered.

"I-I know it is," Casey replied, staring out over the clear, still water of the lake where they often met. "But, why do you want to keep having more kids, if not for them to participate in your races?"

"I never denied that. Everyone thinks I only care about you for that, though, and that's not the case. I love you, a lot. Enough to want to marry you, as soon as possible."

So everyone can criticize me for rushing into things again? "B-but-"

"Don't you want our kids to have married parents, and a clear image of what a healthy, loving relationship should be?"

"Of course." But do we have a healthy, loving relationship? Casey knew Jerry was much better than what someone like her deserved, so she was in no place to complain. She just wished she could express her fears and concerns and be met with understanding, rather than him constantly getting defensive and thinking she was criticizing him.

"Then you'll marry me," he replied coolly. "And you'll do it next week."

"What?" Casey gasped. That's too little time! And I have three kids, still so young, especially Skid and Drift.

"Do you want me, or not?" he asked. "Because this is how I do things, and there needs to be some compromise on your side if you want to be with me. You're stubborn, and don't care to see things from my perspective, but that can change. I'm willing to give you the world, Casey, and all I ask from you is that you become my wife, and be the best mother possible to my children. You're already doing that!"

But don't you have to be a father, too? "I-I don't know, Jerry. I think the kids would love to see you more often than they do."

"They will, when they're older," he promised. "For now, I can't be of any use to them. The things I'm going to teach them, both of them, are all related to racing. In another month I'd say Skid can start to learn some basic maneuvers."

No! she wanted to wail. "But... but what if Skid doesn't want to race?"

"He's a Mustang. The only reason he'd not want to race would be if someone convinced him it was bad." His gaze met hers. "But you wouldn't do that."

Not yet, but I want to. "No, but what if he gets hurt?"

"What if anything, Casey? Everyone has taken some sort of risk in their life. You're being overprotective. Kids need to be given some freedom in order to develop in the ways they should. You're not raising a coward, are you?"

"Of course not!" He's right, I'm being ridiculous. Skid will be fine. "I'm sorry."

"Good. Finally, you're starting to lighten up a little, and let go of some of your stubbornness. Now, what do you say about getting married next week? I know the perfect place, and can get things set up fast, so all you'll have to do is show up. You can invite whoever you want, and you'll get to meet my family, too. They're going to love you."

Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. "But what about the kids?"

"Bring the kids!" he exclaimed. "It'll be a great memory for them, getting to see their parents' wedding. It will give them a strong image of true stability."

He's right. So right. "What's this 'perfect place' you mentioned?"

"It's about an hour drive. Have you been down the cape before, near the ocean?"