Chapter 22

CHAPTER 22

Robert watched as the sun rose above the rooftops. He hadn't been able to sleep that night, (or most nights, these days) so he had rolled outside to enjoy the peace of the morning before the chaos began.

Where the hell did I go wrong, with Casey? he asked himself. Obviously all of it was completely his fault; he just had no idea how to go about fixing it. Why is she accepting what she thinks is love from anyone who wants to use her? John had explained what he knew of Jerry to him, and Robert had, of course, confronted the young muscle car about it. He had denied everything, and claimed to love Casey, so Robert was in a turmoil about what to believe. Of course, the car John had spoken to could just be spreading rumors, right? Either way, I don't want her at those street races, and she better not take my grandchildren to them.

Now, since April was approaching its end, more work had been stacked onto everyone, and having six young ones in the main facility was no help to everyone, plus probably a new record. Aaron would blow a fuse! But somehow, I handle it. No doubt, the expansions he'd done to the fleet had helped to even out the workload.

Trixie was waking up now, peering out of the double garage he'd left open.

"You can come out," he murmured.

The bright red pickup rolled out, glancing around.

"Nobody's awake yet," Robert muttered. "I'm sure the other kids will be out soon, though."

Trixie didn't reply, instead she stopped to observe a dandelion reaching out from a crack in the pavement. "Ooh!" she cried.

I guess she notices everything. "It's pretty, isn't it?" And bright yellow. Something other than red, red, red.

Trixie spun a tight circle around it, stopping to tap at it with her wheel. She giggled when it bounced to and fro.

Robert was quite immersed in watching her playful innocence when some of the others began awakening for the day.

Zane, the little Dodge Durango SUV, came darting out of one of the garages ahead of Kimberly and George, halting near Trixie.

"Hi!" he squeaked.

Trixie darted after Zane, and they began a little chase around the parking lot.

"Morning, Rob," said George, rolling up to halt beside him. "Kim wanted me to ask if I can be on morning patrols with her, and I, of course, don't want to be, but she's forcing me, so... can I be on morning patrols with Kim?"

"Of course," he chuckled, giving his old friend a soft cuff with his wheel.

"Very funny," snorted Kimberly, lining up beside him. "How are things, Robert?"

"Great," he replied. Mostly. I just can't stop worrying about Casey.

"What are we gonna do with all these babies?" she teased.

"In our defense, Rob, Zane was actually planned ahead of time," George broke in.

"And Trixie," Robert replied.

"It's all those grandchildren of yours. You know, I'm not even a grandpa yet. I hear it makes you rust quicker." George gave Robert a little push with his wheel. "I can almost hear the rust particles falling off you when I shake you."

"Shut up," Robert hissed. "You're the one who only has one working headlight."

"And I like my one working headlight. It adds character."