Chapter 18

CHAPTER 18

How odd it felt, to be bringing her parents back here, to the street race! Casey shivered. It was nearly over, though; she had come late on purpose because they were only here to talk to Jerry.

She tried to single him out in the crowd; luckily, orange wasn't that common of a car color, even among muscle cars.

What about his family? Casey asked herself once she spotted him. Will I ever get to meet his?

He was rolling towards her now, headlights flickering a little as he glanced at her parents.

"Casey, I didn't think you'd be here tonight." He focused his headlights on her dad. "Now that's your dad. And your mom?" He turned to the older van.

"I was hoping we could talk away from the crowd," Casey explained, pistons fluttering nervously.

"I'm done here, so yes, we can." He started leading them away.

He's not even mad that I missed all his races. Normally, he'd be so upset by that! Maybe, he was starting to grow more understanding of her. Maybe life is finally working in my favor.

They drove on in silence until they reached the dirt lot by the lake. The thin crescent of the moon shone on its surface, flickering with the calm ripple of the water.

"Ooh, this is a lovely place," her mom purred.

"I didn't know it was here." Her dad turned to Jerry. "Nice to meet you... Jerry, is it?"

"Yes, sir." The Mustang flashed his headlights in greeting.

So polite, thought Casey.

"And I'm Robert. This is my wife, Christian." He nudged her softly with a wheel.

"Pleased to meet you, Jerry," said her mom.

"Pleased to meet you as well, ma'am." Jerry turned to Casey. "Did you... tell them?" he whispered.

About the baby? "Yes," Casey replied quickly. "I told my dad earlier... and he told my mom afterwards." Because she was out working.

"So, what's the deal with those races?" her dad asked. "Is it about the money, or the fun of it?"

Jerry let out a chuckle. "All of it," he replied. "Hey, don't out us! Casey says you're a big shot government official or something."

"Not really." His headlights twinkled. "I won't say anything, because it's none of my business. I prefer not to get involved."

Casey noticed her mom give the dump truck a nudge with her wheel.

"So you're the... fleet manager, at your housing authority?" Jerry asked. "What's that involve?"

If only he knew! Casey knew that being with Jerry would be much different from being with Mike. There would be things she couldn't tell him, ever.

"Just a lot of telling other trucks what to do," Robert replied dismissively.

"Hmm." Jerry shifted his wheels. "Casey says you two have seven kids?"

Her mother laughed softly. "We love babies," she replied.

"Then you'll love ours, too." Jerry glanced at Casey. "We think it's going to be a Mustang, or a Focus RS. Maybe a red one, like you guys."

Don't tell them you want it competing in races, because I don't!

"That'll be adorable," her mom replied.