Tense

"Mom, why did you do this? Why did you stop me from speaking out the truth? Radhika and her parents have a right to know this before they consider moving ahead in this relationship. Its so unfair that they do not know my truth. Why did you even stop me?", Rajeev was exasperated, and rightly so.

After both him and Radhika had said yes for moving ahead with this proposal, and after both the sets of parents had celebrated this fact, Rajeev had began to put forth the most bitter reality of his life - his infertility. But when his mom sensed what he was about to say, she very quickly and tactfully changed the topic and in a way restricted him from saying anything about that topic.

Rajeev was perplexed to say the least, and when his mom had gazed at him, a pleading look on her face, he understood the hint and shut his mouth, but wasn't at all happy about this.

As soon as they had gotten out of Radhika's home, he had questioned his mom about what she had done, but she had only said one thing.

"We will speak when we get home."

And here they were. As much as he was completely ecstatic about Radhika's acceptance, he did not find it fair that she had no idea about his truth before jumping into this relationship, especially now that her parents had become really keen on checking the dates for engagement.

He felt that by not telling her his bitter reality, he was sort of misleading her, fooling her, and he was not the kind to do that. He was feeling increasingly guilty.

"Mom, please tell me.", his voice was a bit raised now.

"Rajeev", came his dad's reprimanding voice.

"I understand your frustration at what Meeta did back then, and trust me, I am as confused as you are, but that does not mean you get to raise your voice on her. You have never done this, and you will never do this henceforth.", his words were strict enough for Rajeev to recognize his mistake.

"Sorry mom, pops, but please tell me why you restricted me from saying anything.", he flailed his arms as he paced across the room right in front on Meeta and Gaurav who were sat on the couch.

Seeing Meeta still stay silent, as though lost in some thoughts, Gaurav gently nudged her.

"Meeta.", he called out, and then took in a sharp breath as she turned to look at him.

"Shh, kya hua? Please don't cry love. Its okay.", he carefully gathered her in his embrace.

(kya hua - what happened)

Hearing these words from his pops, Rajeev's feet halted on their own accord, and a frown took the place of those lines of concern on his face. He approached the couch where his parents were sat, and kneeled in front of his mom at her level.

"Mom. Its okay, please relax. See, I am not angry, hmm? And I am so sorry for raising my voice. Please calm down.", his voice was gentle as he held her hands within his own.

Meeta clamed down and wiped away a tear or two, which had escaped from her eyes.

"Kaddu, beta I know you are confused about what I did, and somewhere, disturbed too. And you completely have a right to be so. I know what I did then, back at Radhika's house, when I did not let you tell her about your infertility - I know it was wrong. If tomorrow she's to get married to you, she most definitely does have the right to know all things about you, and especially this fact, since that's her right. She needs to know that she would never have a biological child if she marries you."

Meeta's face reflected all the pain she felt within, and Rajeev too averted his eyes from hers. Knowing your reality is one thing, but hearing it and once again being made aware of it, is a different thing. The latter's too painful.