Hands entwined

"Where are we going Raj?", a very excited Radhika was almost on her toes as she asked him. Excited for two reasons - one, she was finally going on a date with him. Just him and her to spend some time together. And the second - her papa had actually permitted her to go out with him, willingly. Yes, that had needed some good convincing skills of her Gaurav uncle, but ultimately the goal had been achieved.

"Somewhere.", Rajeev replied cryptically.

"Raj, batao na.", she tried to appease him with her sweet voice.

(Batao na - please tell me)

"Not happening. Someone was laughing at me sometime prior.", he pointed out.

"Haa toh? I am allowed to laugh at, smile at, giggle at, make fun of my Raj.", she declared assertively leaning against the bonnet of his car.

(Haa toh - so what)

"Accha ji?", he stood in front of her, close enough for her to feel his sandalwood scent.

(Is it?)

"Haan ji?", she asserted with a wide smile.

(Haan ji - yes, it is)

"In that case, I need you to sit in the car now."

"Raj.", she still tried her best to make out the place where he was taking her, but to no avail.

"So, now that you have sat", he turned in her direction after he had fixed the rearview mirror.

"You have forgotten a thing Radha.", his voice assumed an unusual deep baritone, as he leaned closer to her.

Seeing him progressively erase the distance in between them, Radhika was flabbergasted at first, and then felt extremely shy as some really interesting thoughts invaded her mind along with his sandalwood scent.

That peculiar blush of hers made its appearance as she fidgeted in her seat, her eyes still fixed on to his - his unwavering gaze and her, too shy.

She tried to merge herself into the junction between the cushion seat and the door as he neared more, and then when he had stopped at a distance from her, his intense eyes still boring into hers, she decided to muster up some courage.

"Wh..what thing R..Rajeev?"

Rajeev smirked at his effect on hers and moved his hand closer to her cheek.

As his hand neared, Radhika's felt her breathing getting laboured.

"Rajeev? Shouldn't it be Raj, my precious Radha?", though his words seemed teasing, his voice was firm, and she found herself nodding at the rhetorical question.

His palm fleeted over her left cheek, not close enough to touch it, but close enough to make those tiny facial hair rise, and for her to feel a tingling sensation, as goosebumps now rose over both of her arms and neck.

"The thing is, my Radha, you had forgotten to set this seat belt in place. Wouldn't want to compromise your safety right?"

His tone suddenly assumed normalcy, as his palm which had brushed over her cheek and disappeared, now had her side of the seat belt, which Rajeev was quick to fix in place.

Radhika however, was transfixed, her breathing still laboured, her skin still tingling with the ghost of his touch, and her cheeks - well, they had assumed the color of a tomato, and that blood simply refused to rush elsewhere.

"Radha.", he called out in the most gentle whisper.

"Huh?", finally she came out of the haze of the moment which they had shared, and seeing the smirk on his face, she was quick to avert her eyes.