Knight in Shining Armor

"Shhh Radha. Its all going to be fine baby. You need to calm down now.", Rajeev had his hand firmly draped over her shoulder as they were sat in the waiting area in the hospital.

After feeling tremendously helpless and not being able to understand what to do, she called Rajeev. She knew he would be able to do something, and that too, quick. He covered the usual distance of thirty minutes within fifteen minutes roughly and was quick to help her papa into his car as they drove away to the nearest hospital. She was shedding silent tears seeing her papa grow more and more restless, while her mother was simply inconsolable.

They had reached the hospital and while Radhika and Vijaya could not think straight, Rajeev had taken all the matters into his hand and had dealt with the admission process and all other formalities very calmly. He also calmed Radhika enough for being able to share her insurance details with the hospital staff.

But after that momentary period of calm, she still wasn't able to come to terms with the fact that her papa had suffered a heart attack and that the condition wasn't so pleasant. He had near about 62 percent blockage, and presently the doctors were trying to alleviate his pain and manage the condition. They still hadn't decided on if he needed a surgery. And Radhika absolutely hated this state of uncertainty. She just wanted her papa to be fine.

As she silently cried in his arms, her gaze wandered over to where her mom was pacifying her maa.

Meeta and Gaurav had arrived immediately after they had reached the hospital and while Rajeev was completing all the formalities, the two had taken charge of calming their Radhika and her maa. Gaurav had immediately gathered a continually sobbing Radhika within his arms and had tried to pacify her with all of his paternal affection, while Meeta had taken to consoling an extremely distraught Vijaya.

Thousand of thoughts had plagued Radhika's mind in this moment - some very unpleasant thoughts, to say the least, and she felt her breath getting shortened, stuck in her throat. It was the snot.

Rajeev noticed the change in her breathing and the slight sounds being made by her every time she would inhale or exhale alongside the whimpers. He cradled her chin with his other hand and made her face him. Red and puffy eyes, and too much of fear in them - it broke his heart to see her like this. If only he could take away all of her pain.

He took out his handkerchief from his pocket and brought it near her nose.

"Blow your nose baby.", he uttered gently.

And while Radhika's mind still made her feel embarrassed despite the severity of the situation, one glance into his soft eyes, and she did as was told. It was her Raj - the last person who could ever judge her.

And just like that, after she had cleared her nose of all the snot, she took in a clean long breath. She did not know how, but it did manage to calm a few of her nerves.

"Now listen to me sweetheart, hmm?", Rajeev still urged her to continue glancing his way.

She nodded in response making him send a slight smile her way.

"Papa is going to be absolutely fine. The doctors know it. I know it. And you trust me right?"

She was a tad bit quick to nod this time. She trusted him with her life.

"That's it. We just need to stay calm and pray for papa's health, hmm. Nothing will happen to him."

Radhika nodded yet again.

"That's my girl."

He placed his comforting lips over her forehead and assured her in every way he could. It worked. She had visibly calmed down.