Two sides

"Radhika, please tell us what has happened."

Neeti had had enough of her silence and all those tears which were pooled in her eyes, a few escaping here and there. She had to tell something now, at least give them a hint of what had transpired between Rajeev and her. That Radhika who was all smiles, and laughs all day long had suddenly come in front of them with tears flowing down her eyes and seemingly lost, hurt and angered.

While Kartik had immediately obliged to her demand of taking her home, she saw how Radhika had basically ignored Rajeev who had come to console her. And it did not take much for her to understand that something must have happened between these two for her to be so inconsolable and for him to have that guilt and fear plastered on his face.

"Jiju ne kucch kaha?", she tried to elicit an answer from her friend but to no avail.

"Radhika, batao mujhe.", Kartik too was getting increasingly concerned with every passing second.

(batao mujhe - please tell me)

'If that Rajeev has done something which has hurt her so much, I won't leave him today.', was the only thought which prevailed in his mind, along with the actually visible concern for Radhika today.

Radhika shook her head, trying to compose herself in front of them as she sat on the couch in the living room space in her home. But the irony of the situation - the more she tried to compose herself, the more she was rewarded with flashes of his words and thoughts, of the way he had lied to her, and some more tears escaped her eyes.

"I will get some water for her.", Neeti told Kartik who nodded in understanding.

"I need to go to my room. I just..", her voice was a bit hoarse because of all that crying, and it cracked a bit towards the end.

"Radhika", Kartik went to interrupt.

"No bhai. Please.", her 'please' was a pleading whisper, softly uttered, but Kartik understood its intensity and he nodded.

Her steps were rather quick along the familiar path which led her to her room. She had to think properly now. Yes, she was hurt, immensely hurt, but she knew better than to react immediately or react in front of Neeti or her brother who did not know anything and would end up rather confused.

She was disturbed - a lot, but she also knew that a few hours in the silent confines of her room would give her the space to think and clear her mind. At times, thanks to her insecurities, she might not be the most rational person in the room, but she was sorted enough to think about all of these things even when caught up in between conflicting emotions.

It might have been an hour or so, and Radhika had calmed down. Calmed down enough to let the rational part of her brain do a lot of thinking. That was required. After all, this was about one of the most important aspects of her life, and concerned that person who was about to be the most important one in her life.

'But why did he lie to me?'

'He concealed the truth Radhika. He did not lie.'

'Does this even make sense? Concealing the truth in itself is a lie, it feels like a betrayal.'

'But think from him point of view too. How could he just come in front of you and state what must be the most devastating truth of his life?'

'I understand, but what about after we had that comfort in between us, where we could just speak without having the fear to be judged.'

'Understand Radhika. Speaking freely about dreams and aspirations, wishes and interests, even insecurities and flaws is easy, but speaking about that truth of your life which you think might have the capability to destroy every happiness which might come your way - don't you think would have been difficult for him.'