The talk

"Maa, papa, I want to have a serious talk with you.", Radhika had entered their room. It had been almost a week since they had 'caught' her having that dinner with Rajeev and his parents, and the situation in her home was completely unpleasant to say the least.

Silent treatment - that was what had happened to her. Yes, there were those regular reminders of restrictions, even more so now that she had actually rebelled by choosing to stand with Rajeev. But other than that, there was not even a semblance of familial talks. And Radhika had grown exasperated because of it. She was being punished for choosing something which she wanted to do, and because it was not appropriate as per their perception. She was being punished for choosing to be happy.

For Kartik, it did not matter much. He was already used to being monosyllabic, so the silence thrown his way did not quite bother him, but he was concerned for his sister. She was not used to this, and was increasingly disturbed.

Radhika had had enough now. She knew she had to get things sorted. She also knew that despite of being conservative and only abiding by the societal expectations, her parents would relent with her persistent efforts. And that was what she was going to do. What she and Rajeev shared was something really precious to her - her first ever chance to pure happiness in personal life, and she would stand up for this newly formed bond in her life, which seemed stronger than a lot others.

She knew she had to convince them. And that, she would.

"We are getting ready for bed Radhika.", her mom's curt voice affected her, but she was stubborn today.

"I understand maa, but I really need to speak with you.", hers was a pleading tone.

Her parents stared at each other for a moment or more, and then her papa beckoned her in.

'At least that's something. Good for a start.', she thought to herself as she entered through the threshold - that familiar smell of the balm her father used before bedtime, hitting her.

She took a chair and placed it right in front of the two of them, taking everyone by surprise. Primarily because Radhika was usually not the type to stand in front of them and make her point no matter how much she disagreed, and Vijaya and Anupam had grown used to that Radhika since forever, but today she had a different confidence about herself. She had a perspective, and it was fair, and she had to put it in front of them.

"Maa, papa, I completely understand your anger, or perhaps your disappointment too, but I want to marry Rajeev."

"Radhika", her mother was quick to raise her voice.

"Yes maa, this is exactly why I am here. I want to know why you and papa are so opposed to this. I have never asked you any questions my whole life. Just followed what you said no matter what. Except for the time when I was adamant about completing my masters degree, I have never even rebelled for a bit. Not done anything against your wishes, and this is the first time I am being stubborn about something. About marrying Rajeev; so why is it that you are so against that very idea?", her voice was earnest and her mind, desperate.

"When we say something is not good for you, its just the way it is. Why do you need to be so upfront about it? You literally seem like a petulant child now Radhika.", Anupam declared.

"Petulant child?", her voice was a surprised whisper.

"Papa, I am just asking why do you think that my marrying Rajeev would not be good for me? He's a perfect person, I mean, perfect for me. He understands me, respects me and my opinions, he supports me, his parents too, and most of all, he makes me happy. They all do. Isn't that what you would want for me in a marriage? They why the opposition?", her demeanour screamed helplessness, just like how she felt within.