A contrast

"Kartik, get Radhi home soon. Don't wait for too long. Remember, it isn't considered quite pleasant in our family to stay for longer at daughter's home, hmm? We will be taking the car, since it will be quite convenient for us to reach Dewas, and return too. Vikas' family needs our help. You book a cab for home, and also drop Radhika's friend on the way. Do not let her go alone. Remember Kartik, I have given you Radhi's responsibility for now, and while I know you will take care, I need to tell you to do so as your father."

Kartik nodded at Anupam, as Radhika and Neeti stood alongside him, while him and Vijaya were preparing to leave. Anupam had gotten a call from one of his really good friends in Dewas, Avinash Goyal. While in his youth, and before getting married, Anupam had stayed in Dewas for quite some while for receiving his training for the government job he had been selected for. It was then that he met Avinash, and the duo had bonded really well ever since. Presently, Avinash needed his help, and Vijaya and Anupam, quite reluctant to leave Radhika and Kartik behind, were giving them all of these sets of instructions.

While a relationship was now officially established because of the engagement, Anupam being a believer in an entire list of dos and donts at your daughter's new home, himself didn't want to stay there for long, nor did he want Radhika to stay there for a longer duration before getting married. It did not look good - that's what he would say.

He wasn't even ready to proceed with the lunch in the Ranawat's home, but a persistent insistence by Rajeev and his parents finally made him give in. Yet, one could clearly sense the hesitation in his demeanour.

"Ji papa."

Kartik replied, his tone neutral, face, as expressionless as ever.

"Radhi, take care."

"Yes maa."

And they were gone. In the meanwhile, Gaurav was speaking to the gardener who needed a leave for a few days, and Rajeev was helping Meeta assemble a few gifts she had planned to give Radhika after the engagement. Some sarees from his grandmother's collection. Rajeev being well-acquainted with his Radha's preferences now helped his mom, after the trio had bade goodbye to Anupam and Vijaya.

"Hush.", Neeti exclaimed as the last yellowish brown leaf which had been whirled in the air, thanks to the exit of the car, had settled on the ground yet again, albeit in a new position.

"Kitne saare instructions.", she flailed her arms dramatically, and then proceeded to wipe an imaginary drop of sweat from her forehead.

(Kitne saare instructions - so many instructions)

Radhika giggled at her words and dramatics, while Kartik stayed the same - unfazed. Just his gaze which was earlier set on the exiting car, now was settled on this girl in front of him, who loved to indulge in some stupid shenanigans.

"Accha, Kartik bhai.", Neeti began as though she had suddenly remembered something.

(Accha - alright, bhai - brother)

Kartik's eyes widened slightly when he heard those words.

"I am not your bhai.", he stated, pronouncing each word in such a distinct manner that along with being heard, one could clearly understand the repulse he must have felt when he heard those words. It also felt like a warning, since those words were uttered with a clenched jaw.

While Radhika had gotten a bit concerned at the exchange, Neeti simply scoffed in response.

"Haa, thik hai, thik hai. As it is, mera bhai kaha itna khadoos hota.", she snickered.

(Yes, that's fine. As it is, my brother would not have been so grumpy)

Well, she was successful. After she had recovered from a slight hit on her arm from Radhika, she noticed a glared directed on her. Kartik's usual unfazed and unbothered persona was now glaring in her direction.