On the way to Ujjain

"Papa, Rajeev's going to be felicitated tomorrow in Ujjain for all the work he's done in the orphanages, for all the support he's extended to the kids. And he wants me to be with him whilst he would be honored for his work. May I please go papa? I really want to be with him."

A clearly nervous Radhika directly approached Anupam. She had had enough of the dinner fiasco, and decided that she would take proper permission from her parents. As it is, the travelling and being there in Ujjain for the ceremony would be a long affair, and lying would only result in a constant mental pressure on her all the time. That would only cloud Rajeev's big day, and she did not want that.

Kartik was at a distance - having a cup of tea, whilst her papa and maa were sat on the dining table having snacks.

She had gone to Kartik the previous night after Rajeev's call to inform her about this felicitation. How happy did her Raj sound, and how happy had she felt for him. Kartik suggested that he would make something up to cover for her, but she refused stating that she wanted none of the things which had happened the other day after the dinner to repeat.

'He won't agree Radhika.', her subconscious suggested.

'I know, but I will persist.'

If there was something which had changed about Radhika gradually ever since the time she had met Rajeev was that, she had decidedly become persistent about what she felt must be good for her instead of blindly giving in to something which was expected from her. His presence had instilled in her a different kind of confidence, and she liked this version of hers more. With him, she felt herself growing better.

"What's the felicitation for?", Anupam had swallowed the morsel in his mouth, and was still staring at the newspaper.

Radhika stared at him, her mouth wide open.

Instead of an angry glare, or a taunt, or a clear cut no, her father was showing interest. She felt the tiniest hope in her heart shooting up now.

Kartik's ears too perked up. This was new.

"He works a lot for the orphanage kids and the other NGOs too. On a personal level he does some things for them, gets them necessities and other important supplies as much as he could, spends a lot of time with them. As I said, he absolutely adores kids. And on a professional level, he's helped a lot of NGOs and orphanages with their websites, so that they can attract more donations for the kids and the other people who need that help, along with some potential parents for the kids too - for adoption. He's even worked with UN volunteers for such projects. And which is why there's a felicitation ceremony for him. An important political person from the area will be felicitating him."

She spoke with gusto. The pride for her Raj seeping through her tone. He wasn't just the epitome of a green flag, but the way he helped the society become a better place was so much commendable and Radhika absolutely adored him for that.

Anupam stared at her. One could say he must have been impressed with what he heard, for there was the slightest change in his demeanour for a moment or so, before it vanished.

"You can go. Be back home in time, and inform your maa or me or your bhai about your whereabouts constantly. Also, you know your limits."

'No way this is real. You are hallucinating Radhika.', her subconscious screamed aloud.

"I...really, papa?", she could not believe her ears.

Her papa had agreed?

Her papa had agreed!!!

"As it is, you have stopped listening to us, and we do not want any of those lies from the other night. So, go.", her father's response was curt, and though this must have hurt her, and would have hurt her any other time, presently she was too far gone in the prospect of having received the permission that her mind did not let her ruminate those points for overthinking.