The truth's out

"Raj, I really don't think we should be doing this.", Radhika hesitated as she ushered him inside the living space.

It had been two days since she had gotten engaged to her Raj, shared her first kiss with him, blushed a lot, then known the truth, and cried a lot, and then forgiven him, as he made a promise.

Phew!

Just a day before, she had visited her Meeta aunty and Gaurav uncle. Not only were they apologetic for having concealed the truth, but Meeta aunty also fell into her embrace and cried and apologized for having betrayed her like that. They looked so visibly distressed and sorry that Radhika could not hold even a moment of playful grudge against them. She gave in immediately - not that she was angry with them or anything, and immediately shared a warm hug with them.

Rajeev pretended to be jealous and rushed into that embrace.

And while Radhika had done all of that, she also made Meeta and Gaurav promise that they would never hide such a thing from her ever again. Needless to say, everyone obliged immediately, and then all was good.

"I understand your thought process Radha, but this is the right thing to do. They are your parents, they deserve to know. And perhaps with a little convincing, they will understand us. After all, you are their daughter."

She shook her head.

"That's the thing Raj. They are my parents and I know them really well. Nahi manenge Raj. And I can't lose you. I would never. And moreover, we can explain this after marriage right? Nothing to worry about then. Please Raj, lets not tell them.", she almost pleaded with Raj.

(Nahi manenge - they wont agree)

Raj felt his worry increasing with every passing second. She was right - she knew her parents, but he too did not want to blindside anyone anymore. And they were her parents - how could he hide such a thing from them. But he also remembered how they preferred things happening as per a certain societal pattern, and his infertility would be such an impediment therein.

But what about his Radha, she was already distraught. Just like him, she too did not want to lose him.

"Radha", his face was full of reluctance, which clearly depicted the turmoil within.

"Please Raj, lets keep this from them. Maa and papa won't agree.", she insisted.

Rajeev decided to give in. After all, at the end of the day, the two persons who would be affected by this the most were him and Radha. And what if her fears came true - what if they broke off this relationship?

'No, I wont let this happen.', was the only thought which took over his mind now.

"What wont we agree for Radhi?"

Her maa and papa were standing just a few steps away from them, and Radhika flinched at her papa's sudden question.

Her gaze traversed on its own to Rajeev's face and she could note that he looked the same as her - flabbergasted and utterly petrified.

"P...pa...papa", she stuttered as she broke out into a sweat.

The stern look on her papa's face too wasn't helping much, and now that she was assured that her bhai would help her, he too was not at home, having gone for an important meeting.

"Radhi, papa kucch pucch rahe hain.", her mother's voice also was stern, and while Radhika was not surprised to see her mother singing the same tune as her father, a little corner of her mind - that tiny hopeful corner still frowned upon how her mother too would not support her.

(papa kucch pucch rahe hain - papa is asking something)

"J..ji maa. Its n..nothing papa.", she shook her head, having firmly decided upon not telling them anything. But this was scary - a lot scary, standing in front of them when they had almost heard her hiding something from them. Her heart was throbbing violently, and she felt a very cold drop of sweat tracing her now warm spine. She shuddered at that contrasting sensation.