Confluence of emotions

"Are you fine now?", was the first question which Kartik asked as Radhika came out of her room. And while the question seemed dry, Radhika could clearly see the concern in his eyes.

"Yes bhai.", she assured him with a small smile.

"Neeti?"

"Sent her home.", Kartik's reply was crisp, and knowing her brother she did not want to probe more into it. She could herself call Neeti and speak with her. As it is, that girl must be going crazy wondering about what must have happened to her friend.

Kartik's gaze was now firmly fixated upon his sister, and she found herself stealing her gaze away from him. It felt a bit awkward now - having seen by Kartik and Neeti whilst she was extremely emotional. And what would she explain to him? She herself needed clarity from Rajeev, and before she understands what exactly is the matter, she just did not find it right to share it with anyone. And as it is, the issue at hand was really sensitive.

While she was thinking of what she needs to ask her Raj, Kartik had already neared her.

"Baccha", she heard the gentlest voice. Stilling for a moment, her mind took her back to the last time she had heard this tone and this address from her bhai. She had kept it treasured within, believing that it mostly would be the last time she would hear it from him, but look at this now.

Her gaze full of disbelief now found its way to his face, and Kartik felt a pang in his chest seeing that disbelief etched onto her face. His sweet sister. She never deserved his coldness.

"Baccha.", he called out again, this time his cold fingers on her cheek.

"Bh...bhai.", her voice cracked towards the end, as she felt that familiar brotherly warmth seeping into her after such a long time.

"Shh, no more crying.", he sounded the softest she had heard in years.

He was quick to take her into an embrace which she eagerly and desperately reciprocated. Her bhai. How long had it been that she had hugged him, how long it had been since she had felt his love.

"I missed you bhai.", still in his embrace, she uttered those words.

"I missed you too baccha. And I am so sorry."

While one might have felt about this apology not being enough, Radhika knew the sincerity of her bhai's words and she knew how difficult it must have been for him to portray these emotions.

Her bhai was not expressive, but that did not mean that he didn't feel, or didn't have all of those emotions within. She still did not know what had caused that distance in between them - those two who were as thick as thieves once, she did not know what had created a wedge, but she would think about all of that later. For now, she had her bhai, and that was more than enough.

"Kya hua tha?", he took ahold of her arms and was trying to make her face him, but she refused to leave his embrace.

(Kya hua tha - what had happened)

"Radhika", he began, trying to get her to speak.

"No, baccha.", she insisted.

He felt a miniscule smile forming on his face, before it vanished, but his eyes, they still beheld that amusement. If she says she wants to be addressed as 'baccha', so be it. He had already hurt her and himself enough for a lifetime, and he would be damned if he would not listen to her ever again.

"Yes, baccha. Please tell me."

She was now out of his embrace, albeit a bit reluctantly.

"Bhai.", a wide grin was now plastered on her face, and while her eyes were still red and puffy from all of that crying she had done before, now they did behold a twinkle. After all, she had gotten her bhai back.