•《chapter XXII》•

The following morning Arianna was with the Cullens at a clearing in the woods, Edward and Bella were driving up in Emmett's Jeep. The two got out and walked over to Arianna who sat on the hood of Carlisle's car. They walked in silence as Emmett and Jasper spared, the two just a mere blur to the human eyes.

Arianna sat in silence, her mind racing with thoughts of the upcoming battle. She wasn't just fearful for her own life, but of the lives of her mates. She couldn't help but feel like something was going to go wrong. She thought about everything going on in her life at the moment. She had eight amazing mates who cared for her in every way possible. She had just graduated high school and she still had to figure out what she wanted to do for the rest of her life. All she knew is she didn't want to lose any of that. Edward grabbed her hand silently after reading her thoughts and pulled her into a comforting hug.

"Again!" Emmett grumbled as he lost to Jasper once more. Emmett had the strength and the brutality, but Jasper could easily win as he had the speed and the strategy.

"They're here." Edward announces and stands to leave the human girls' sides.

They watched as eight huge wolves came out from the tree line at the top of the hill. There was a huge black wolf leading them; Sam. They slowly came down the hill and formed a line along the opposite side of the clearing.

"They don't trust us enough to be in human form." Edward tells the others.

"They're here. That's what matters." Carlisle says and then walks toward the shifters slowly. He had a friendly smile on his face. "Will you translate?"

Edward nods and focuses on the wolves as Carlisle greets them. Sam steps forward and looks to Edward.

"He says they'll watch and listen, but that's the most we can ask of their self-control." Edward translates.

"That will be fine. Jasper has experience with newborns. He'll teach us how to defeat them."

"They want to know how the newborns differ from us." Edward says.

"They're a great deal stronger than us, because their own human blood lingers in their tissues. Our kind is never more physically powerful than in our first several months of this life," Carlisle answers, he looks over to Jasper and the southern boy continues.

"Carlisle is right. That's why newborns are created for armies. They don't need thousands like a human army. But no human army could stand against them. They are untrained and their thirst will make them wild. Volatile. That can work in our favor." Jasper moves along the line of shifters and vampires. He stood tall with his hands clasped behind his back. "The two most important things to remember are, first, never let them get their arms around you. They'll crush you so fast your head will spin. Second, never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose."

Jasper calls Emmett over once more, and the two begin fighting. Arianna blocks them out as she pulls out her book and starts reading. She didn't want to have to worry about the impending battle, but she knew she had to be there because her mates wouldn't let her be on her own.

After about two hours their training came to an end and they told the wolves what time they would be there the following day. Arianna walked over to Alice and Jasper as she would be riding with them back to the house. She came up next to Jasper and grabbed his hand, he gave her a light squeeze in return. Bella then walked up to them.