Volume 5 : The Strategy Planning

Ayanokoji Kiyone POV

Full-scale preparations have begun in anticipation of the sports festival that will be commencing in a month's time. The 2 hour long homeroom provided to us once a week has been declared a free period where we may utilize it as we wish, the manner in which we spend that time is left up to the judgment of the class. There are two things which we must decide on in preparation for the actual event.

How to decide the order of participation for the Universal Participation events? And also, who will be participating in which Recommended Only Participation events? It is clear that these two decisions will have a massive influence on the outcome. Here, above everyone else, the leader-like existence of this class, Hirata, took the initiative.

Chabashira-sensei, who moved towards the back of the classroom as though she were vacating the stage, did not say a single word. She likely intends to watch over the situation.

Hirata : "In preparation for the sports festival we will begin to take action, but before we start our practice there are several things we need to decide on I believe. The important things are the order of participation for events and the Recommended Only Participation events. I think it's important to decide how to approach those"

Sudou : "Even if you say decide, how are we going to do that?"

From Sudou's perspective, a rather uninteresting discussion is starting.

Hirata : "Yeah. For instance, in the case of Universal Participation—"

Perhaps it's to make it easier to understand than an explanation here, Hirata gripped the boardmarker and began writing on the board

He appears to be a man who handles this sort of thing capably. 'Raising Hands' and 'Ability'. Those two were written down.

As he explains, Hirata adds a postscript.

Hirata : "It's still a rough sketch but basically I think it boils down to these two. This is the 'Raising Hands' system where we'll listen to your desired order of participation. And this is the 'Ability' system where we'll ascertain your abilities to raise efficiency. It has to be one of these two, right? They have their own pros and cons. The 'Raising Hands' system's pros are, of course, that everyone would get their desired orders of participation and be able to have fun that way. The cons are that in the case that the desired orders overlap, not everyone can have it their way and the outcomes will become uneven"

If we adopt the system where we let everyone have it their way in regards to the order, inevitably that would be the result.

However, it can smoothly lower the emotional hurdles.

Hirata : "Next is the 'Ability' system. This is extremely simple and it's the optimal arrangement to ensure that the ones with the highest abilities win. The pros are that it could raise the chances of winning beyond that of the 'Raising Hands' system but since it relies only on the strong individuals it could decrease the chances of winning for the others and it worries me that it'll end up ignoring what each one of you want. In theory, I think we can say the same for the Recommended Only Participation events as well. I've thought about it roughly but if you have any ideas other than these two please feel free to speak your opinion"

Hirata finishes his brief explanation. Even the students who could not understand the verbal explanation, from the details written on the blackboard, could slowly comprehend the pros and cons of each system.

The thoughts of the most of the students must have fallen under one of the plans Hirata had proposed. Especially since no other plans were forthcoming.

Sudou : "I don't quite understand but no matter how you look at it, we should decide based on ability, right? You know yourself best, after all"