11. A not so proper explanation

Aether huff. He shut his eyes as he feel Fenice's hand ruffling his hair, make a mess of his hair.

He only met this guy twice yet he can feel himself getting comfortable with this person because of the radiating warmth from him.

Despite Fenice telling him he's not going to confront him, yet the simple gesture already made him feel at ease.

The two just sat still and enjoy the beautiful scenery before them without exchanging any thoughts. They sit in comfortable silence.

"How's Fontaine so far?" Fenice decided to break the silence, wanting to know the traveler's condition.

"Dunno. I just arrived here and already experienced a trial. What a headache." Fenice hums.

"Understandable though."

Fenice take a look at Aether's expression. He can saw a hint of betrayed expression on his face.

"I'm sure you're understand Lyney didn't meant to hide his identity to you, right? Considering you have bad encounters with the Fatuis, he decided to hide his identity from you."

Aether snap his head towards Fenice, who didn't bother to reply his stare and capturing the beauty of the scenery before him.

"I... Understand his intentions. He already explained it to me. Though, I can't help but feel betrayed. I trusted him after all." Fenice can feel himself nodding at Aether's statement.

"You're right. Being betrayed is the worst feeling. Though I can assure you he didn't mean any harm." Aether raise his eyebrow.

"How are you so confident about that?" Fenice chuckle as he can feel Aether's doubt in his voice.

"I've known him for years. Of course I know what kind of person he is. I've experienced what you experienced. Though, I didn't feel betrayed as I knew he didn't have any bad intentions for hiding his and Lynette's identity."

Aether tilt his head. "So you're saying they'd hide their identity from you too at first?" Fenice nod.

"I didn't blame they though. It's a safe way to protect yourself when you meet someone new. For example, right now."

Aether freeze as Fenice stare at him as if he stare at his soul.

"We've just met twice and you already fine with me being near you and hearing your thoughts while I'm still a complete stranger to you. I wonder why you didn't push me away and decided to keep me by your side."

Aether want to say something but words didn't come out from his mouth. He too, wonder. Why did he even decided to trust Fenice? Is it because he carries a warm and comforting aura around him made him feels like he's a trusted person?

Fenice sigh as he saw Aether caught up in his own thoughts. Maybe he's being too strict to him, despite already knowing the traveler beside him is mentally and physically exhausted?

"That's the problem, Aether. You're too kind. You should be more careful. People may take advantage of your kindness for their greed."

Fenice's words snap Aether from his thoughts. His eyes widen as he heard the guy before him call him by his name for the first time.

"But-"

"I'm just giving you advice. No need to put it to consideration if you don't want." Fenice decided to take his leave, as if their conversation already reached its end but stopped by Aether's reply.

"No..."

Fenice side glance at the traveler, who staring at the surface.

"I think... People already take advantage of my kindness. I already help many people, saying they can help with searching my sister before coming here. Yet, all I got is nothing. I didn't even ask for the attention, titles or something like those things..."